Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which operating system do you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 15, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which operating system do you use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Rozwarzewska. View the poll results »

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:48
German to English
+ ...
Windows Seven and Eight Sep 15, 2014

I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop, because that is what the laptop was supplied with. I must look into downgrading as Windows 8 is hopeless for work. It is designed more for leisure use.

[Editat el 2014-09-15 09:11 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er.... Sep 15, 2014

My main PC has a mix of XP (so that I can use some of my older SW and dictionaries, and anyway I prefer the XP interface, as well as earlier versions of MS Office) and W7.

I have a backup PC (and 2 laptops, one for each language) with the Windows 7 and office 2010 on it just in case, but as usually happens with software "upgrades", I tend to find the new features of little use and I really hate it when basic functions that I use a lot have been moved, meaning that I have to learn n
... See more
My main PC has a mix of XP (so that I can use some of my older SW and dictionaries, and anyway I prefer the XP interface, as well as earlier versions of MS Office) and W7.

I have a backup PC (and 2 laptops, one for each language) with the Windows 7 and office 2010 on it just in case, but as usually happens with software "upgrades", I tend to find the new features of little use and I really hate it when basic functions that I use a lot have been moved, meaning that I have to learn new procedures, since time is money.

The last time I updated, my tech guy told me to avoid W8, saying it had been designed mainly with mobile devices in mind and would contribute little to my work, and in fact would probably give rise to irritating issues of compatibility etc...
Collapse

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Windows 8.1 and happy Sep 15, 2014

I have Windows 8.1 on my desktop and laptop and very happy with it. I tweaked it a Little to fit my needs. I love the enormous speed. I turn on my computer and in 30 seconds I am ready to work (but I guess the ssd helps a bit too), I started using this setup almost 9 months ago. No compatibilty issues at all. I don't understand why people hate 8.1 so much....

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
MAC OS X Sep 15, 2014

MAC OS X and when I visit my family in summer I use a laptop (Windows 7).

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Windows 8 Sep 15, 2014

My Packard Bell desktop PC is quite new, and when a window showed up prompting me to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 for free, I just automatically accepted... regretting it bitterly afterwards.

For some reason my computer could not handle the upgrade and it totally crashed. I called Microsoft, who referred me to the manufacturer, Packard Bell, and PB told me that a lot of people had had this problem, because the machine was only created to work with Windows 8. However, Microsoft had
... See more
My Packard Bell desktop PC is quite new, and when a window showed up prompting me to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 for free, I just automatically accepted... regretting it bitterly afterwards.

For some reason my computer could not handle the upgrade and it totally crashed. I called Microsoft, who referred me to the manufacturer, Packard Bell, and PB told me that a lot of people had had this problem, because the machine was only created to work with Windows 8. However, Microsoft had gone behind their backs....bla, bla... I will spare you for all the details...
but in the end after a lot of trouble and time lost I had to reset my PC to manufacturerer's initial settings.

So much for my up-to-date operating system.

[Edited at 2014-09-15 11:04 GMT]

Collapse

Cristiana Francone
Cristiana Francone  Identity Verified
Romanian to Italian
+ ...
Linux Fedora Sep 15, 2014

I've using this system from years and I'm very happy with it, I find it great!

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:48
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Windows 7 Sep 15, 2014

Windows 7 running Trados Studio 2014.

No problems

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Windows 7 and (unfortunately) 8.1 Sep 15, 2014

Ian Jones wrote:
I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop, because that is what the laptop was supplied with. I must look into downgrading as Windows 8 is hopeless for work. It is designed more for leisure use.

I only got my laptop a week or two ago so I would expect to still be having a few teething problems. However, iti does seem to be totally incompatible with a working environment and I really, really HATE Windows 8. I don't think it's me as I didn't have more than a few passing hiccups adapting from XP to 7.

A worrying 10% of translators are using XP alone. I know it worked really well but it's no longer supported, is it? That must present a huge business risk. I imagine the security loopholes are growing daily.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Leisure use Sep 15, 2014

Ian Jones wrote:

[Editat el 2014-09-15 09:11 GMT]

Your comment reminds me of why computers keep getting faster and more powerful: videogamers. Now, if you play fantasy football or solitary on your work computer, that's leisure use and you get penalized. How ironic, huh?

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing Sep 15, 2014

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

For some reason my computer could not handle the upgrade and it totally crashed. I called Microsoft, who referred me to the manufacturer, Packard Bell, and PB told me that a lot of people had had this problem, because the machine was only created to work with Windows 8. However, Microsoft had gone behind their backs....bla, bla... I will spare you for all the details...
but in the end after a lot of trouble and time lost I had to reset my PC to manufacturerer's initial settings.

So much for my up-to-date operating system.

You have a Packard Bell computer? That brand went out of business in the USA in the mid 90s.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Windows 8 Sep 15, 2014

I have been using Windows 8 for a while now, but I have an extra gadget installed that makes it look more like a Windows 7/Vista interface, with that oh-so-important Start button!

Without that gadget, I probably would have thrown my computer out the window long ago... using the touchscreen interface on a non-touchscreen computer is just not practical. Why can't Windows developers just leave things alone!!

Reminds me of the huge changes that came in Microsoft Office wi
... See more
I have been using Windows 8 for a while now, but I have an extra gadget installed that makes it look more like a Windows 7/Vista interface, with that oh-so-important Start button!

Without that gadget, I probably would have thrown my computer out the window long ago... using the touchscreen interface on a non-touchscreen computer is just not practical. Why can't Windows developers just leave things alone!!

Reminds me of the huge changes that came in Microsoft Office with the introduction of the "ribbon", although I use a recent version of Office, I still prefer the 2003 layout.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows 8 or 9: not for me, not now. Sep 15, 2014

I still run my PCs on Windows 7 (home premium or professional versions). I also run Win 7 Pro on Parallels 9 in my Mac OSX 10.8.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a 27-inch iMac down the road with at least 32 GB of RAM because my humble MacBook Pro (2009) with 8 GB of RAM is getting a tad stretched with Mac OSX 10.6, Mac OSX 10.8 and Windows 7 (w/Parallels).

Why, you say, am I running OSX 10.6? Simple: it has the Front Row application with which I see the upcoming movie
... See more
I still run my PCs on Windows 7 (home premium or professional versions). I also run Win 7 Pro on Parallels 9 in my Mac OSX 10.8.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a 27-inch iMac down the road with at least 32 GB of RAM because my humble MacBook Pro (2009) with 8 GB of RAM is getting a tad stretched with Mac OSX 10.6, Mac OSX 10.8 and Windows 7 (w/Parallels).

Why, you say, am I running OSX 10.6? Simple: it has the Front Row application with which I see the upcoming movie trailers by clicking my laptop's remote. Nerdy, ain't it?
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Packard Bell Sep 15, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

You have a Packard Bell computer? That brand went out of business in the USA in the mid 90s.

Me too - they are quite strong in Europe apparently, now part of Acer group?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 15, 2014

Lori Cirefice wrote:
... Why can't Windows developers just leave things alone!!

Reminds me of the huge changes that came in Microsoft Office with the introduction of the "ribbon", although I use a recent version of Office, I still prefer the 2003 layout.

I still hate the ribbon after more than a year of struggling with it. I'd gleefully strangle Bill Gates with it....

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which operating system do you use?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »