Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which operating system do you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:51
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Message for the naysayers Sep 15, 2014

To Lori, Sheila, Ian and other Win8 naysayers:

Let me convince you otherwise. Come to the METM14 conference at the end of October in Madrid, Spain, where I'm giving a 10-minute whirlwind tour of the benefits of Windows 8.1:
http://www.metmeetings.org/en/program:681

See you there!
Emma

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Packard-Bell Sep 15, 2014

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

You have a Packard Bell computer? That brand went out of business in the USA in the mid 90s.

Allo, Lori, ça va ?
Me too - they are quite strong in Europe apparently, now part of Acer group?

Apparently, Acer bought them in 2008. Here in the States they had a so-so performance and reputation. I think the now defunct CompUSA and Sears used to sell them in the 90s.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
"Classic Menus" Sep 15, 2014

This software is useful in making MS Office 2007 and later behave like 2003 and earlier. But I still prefer to work in Word 2000 (dating back to before they started limiting the number of computers on which you could install your own software).
I convert incoming .docx files to .doc using "Docx to Doc Converter". It is not usually necessary to convert outgoing .doc files to .docx because the later versions of Word can handle them, but I can do so if I have to by opening them in LibreOffi
... See more
This software is useful in making MS Office 2007 and later behave like 2003 and earlier. But I still prefer to work in Word 2000 (dating back to before they started limiting the number of computers on which you could install your own software).
I convert incoming .docx files to .doc using "Docx to Doc Converter". It is not usually necessary to convert outgoing .doc files to .docx because the later versions of Word can handle them, but I can do so if I have to by opening them in LibreOffice and saving them as .docx there.

[Edited at 2014-09-16 05:21 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:51
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
MicroSoft Cycles Sep 16, 2014

Those who use Windows might have noticed:

- Windows 98 - Good
- Windows Millenium - Terrible
- Windows XP - Good
- Windows Vista - Terrible
- Windows 7 - Good
- Windos 8 - Terrible

So, my advice is. Keep Windows 7 and wait for windows 9.

I actually bought two licences of Windows 8, installed in two computers for a while. Then I reverted the process and gave both licenses away for free. I won't use it even if I'm paid for.
... See more
Those who use Windows might have noticed:

- Windows 98 - Good
- Windows Millenium - Terrible
- Windows XP - Good
- Windows Vista - Terrible
- Windows 7 - Good
- Windos 8 - Terrible

So, my advice is. Keep Windows 7 and wait for windows 9.

I actually bought two licences of Windows 8, installed in two computers for a while. Then I reverted the process and gave both licenses away for free. I won't use it even if I'm paid for.

My wife is still using Win8, because she bought a computer with it. I hear her complaining about how sh(*)ty it is every single day.
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 15:51
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Windows 7 Sep 16, 2014

I recently bought a laptop computer that had Windows 8 installed for my son. I don't get along with 8, but I was sure my son would get used to it quickly, as kids pick up new things more easily. Before long he started asking me whether I couldn't install Windows 7 on his machine. I advised him to stick with 8 - it won't go away, so it might make more sense to learn how to work with it. But he kept pestering me till I bought a Windows 7 CD. You have no idea about the complications of simply getti... See more
I recently bought a laptop computer that had Windows 8 installed for my son. I don't get along with 8, but I was sure my son would get used to it quickly, as kids pick up new things more easily. Before long he started asking me whether I couldn't install Windows 7 on his machine. I advised him to stick with 8 - it won't go away, so it might make more sense to learn how to work with it. But he kept pestering me till I bought a Windows 7 CD. You have no idea about the complications of simply getting rid of the d**n Windows 8! Well, lots of research and boot processes later, I successfully exorcized his laptop and he is happy now - I haven't heard any complaints since!

I really hope Windows 9 looks, feels and works less alien than Windows 8. I would loose so much time to have to get used to something as silly but I am aware that 7 won't be supported forever... But if Mario is right, there is some hope!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which operating system do you use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »