Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have weekdays without a job even though you want to work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
I think it is awesome too and I am not a kid Sep 10, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

I may not be translating, but I might be doing administrative stuff, or working on the office, upgrading a computer, working on my blog... building halloween props in my basement (my neighbors think I'm a mass murderer because of all the body parts... their kids think it's awesome).

Today I have no translation projects, so I'm casting some rocks in silicone, then I'm doing a pickaxe. I'm building a Minecraft cave for the kids this year

Can I come?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 11, 2014

"Want to work" is key here. In 2011-2012, I wrote a memoir (Finding My Invincible Summer), so I actually turned down some of the work that was offered to me. In 2013, I took a 4-month intensive course in botany and I turned down work when tests and projects were due. This year I took off most of May for my first traveling vacation in 9 years.

Bottom line: I basically average 40 hours a week. I have all the work I can handle. I'm supposed to be retired and I want less work, not more
... See more
"Want to work" is key here. In 2011-2012, I wrote a memoir (Finding My Invincible Summer), so I actually turned down some of the work that was offered to me. In 2013, I took a 4-month intensive course in botany and I turned down work when tests and projects were due. This year I took off most of May for my first traveling vacation in 9 years.

Bottom line: I basically average 40 hours a week. I have all the work I can handle. I'm supposed to be retired and I want less work, not more.

[Edited at 2014-09-11 06:20 GMT]
Collapse

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:33
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Rarely Sep 11, 2014

...because even if I don't have anything to translate, there's always some kind of work - revising my cv/portfolio, marketing, looking for new clients, invoicing, updating glossaries... because I find it difficult to make time for these when there's translation work to do.

Quentina Chan
Quentina Chan
Malaysia
Local time: 15:33
Member (2015)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It happened quite often Sep 11, 2014

especially at the beginning of my translation career. At that time, I often had an alternative week off (e.g. fully occupied for a week, then no work at all for the following week). I was quite worried at first, but started to utilize the "no-work-week" to look for new clients, or revise some of my previous jobs.

I won't say I miss those days because, to me, more translation means more practice (but don't get me wrong, I only accept jobs if I really have times to complete it).

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly! Sep 11, 2014

Vera Schoen wrote:

I'm one of those who answered "No".
Are there weekdays without work? Yes, it happens.
Weekends with work? Often.
So on the job-less weekdays I'm happy not to work.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have weekdays without a job even though you want to work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »