Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you do when you run out of time to complete a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Don't wait until the last minute Sep 9, 2014

Of course unexpected things happen - that's just life. I try to accept only deadlines which allow a little leeway just in case and, admittedly, I do tend to work on longer projects so there is more flexibility. However, unless you are doing a very short job in a very tight timescale, it is often possible to see this coming before you get there. If at all possible I would not wait until the deadline itself to tell the customer there was a problem. If I start working on a project on a Monday which... See more
Of course unexpected things happen - that's just life. I try to accept only deadlines which allow a little leeway just in case and, admittedly, I do tend to work on longer projects so there is more flexibility. However, unless you are doing a very short job in a very tight timescale, it is often possible to see this coming before you get there. If at all possible I would not wait until the deadline itself to tell the customer there was a problem. If I start working on a project on a Monday which it is due for the Friday, but my child falls ill on Wednesday, it is only polite to inform the customer as soon as possible, and attempt to come to some kind of mutually acceptable arrangement before it is too late.Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Never happened to me either... Sep 9, 2014

meaning that I always try and negotiate an extension well ahead of the deadline if I realise that there is the possibility I won't make it...

Of course, there can be unforeseen events... but I don't think the questions was referring to these...

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Phrasing of the question? Sep 9, 2014

I think it's the phrasing of the question that's at issue here. "if you run out of time" suggests you've just been beavering away with your head in the sand until the last possible minute and suddenly realised you're not going to make the deadline - which is obviously unacceptable! As others have said, you should know what you can achieve when you take a job on and if something unexpected happens to put the deadline in doubt, it's your duty to tell the client straightaway so they can take altern... See more
I think it's the phrasing of the question that's at issue here. "if you run out of time" suggests you've just been beavering away with your head in the sand until the last possible minute and suddenly realised you're not going to make the deadline - which is obviously unacceptable! As others have said, you should know what you can achieve when you take a job on and if something unexpected happens to put the deadline in doubt, it's your duty to tell the client straightaway so they can take alternative action as soon as possible.

I answered that it had never happened to me, and reacted as Muriel has - I've never knowingly "run out of time" to finish a job I'd promised I'd do. However, there have been occasions on which I've been overtaken by events - when my first baby arrived a week early, for example, and my then husband had to return the translation I was working on half-finished with my profound apologies! (They were very understanding and kindly paid me for what I'd done!). Then there was the time I contracted swine flu, but fortunately only had one job with a fairly generous deadline in my in-tray - again I was able to contact the client in plenty of time for them to make other arrangements. Of course, unforeseen circumstances can happen to anyone and I'm sure most clients would be as understanding as mine have been - but it is up to us to tell them the minute we think there might be a problem, not to struggle on until we really have "run out of time".
Collapse

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:45
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Thank you and I'm sorry Sep 9, 2014

Thank you, Claire, for explaining to those of us who aren't fluent in English (me!).
I obviously got upset for nothing by Muriels post, and I'm very sorry about that, Muriel!

I understood the poll as asking what I do if - God forbid - something unforeseen happens that prevents me from sending in my translation on the agreed upon date. In those cases (and it has happened a *few* times) I immediately contacted the PM to let him/her know, and then we decided what to do (in my cas
... See more
Thank you, Claire, for explaining to those of us who aren't fluent in English (me!).
I obviously got upset for nothing by Muriels post, and I'm very sorry about that, Muriel!

I understood the poll as asking what I do if - God forbid - something unforeseen happens that prevents me from sending in my translation on the agreed upon date. In those cases (and it has happened a *few* times) I immediately contacted the PM to let him/her know, and then we decided what to do (in my case an extension of the deadline).

If the poll is meant to ask what I do if I've been dreaming away and suddenly realise I cannot meet the deadline, well, that simply doesn't happen.

[Edited at 2014-09-09 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Holy cow! Sep 9, 2014

Alma de Kok wrote:

1,5 year ago my husband had an accident and passed away. I was left with 3 children, a farm with 800 cows and 11 employees.

Right now I am selling the farm and take only small assignments with flexible deadlines, my clients know my situation. And now? The milk factory wants to put the 'rates' for the milk down (sounds familiar?) and pressures me to agree. I actually don't agree and today they are threatening not to pick up the milk. 16000 litres. So I correspond with lawyers, colleagues etc. Translating in such a situation is bad, cannot concentrate. So yes, another few missed deadlines. I hate that, but there simply is no other way...

[Edited at 2014-09-09 09:38 GMT]

I hope you can sell your farm under favorable terms. You should write about this in a blog, if you aren't already doing it.

It gives me a warm feeling to see a fellow translator go through life's struggles in 3 dimensions, not just as someone hunched over a keyboard and typing stuff. Thank you for sharing, Alma.

Please consider blogging about it. It's a wonderful story what you have. In fact, you are welcome as a guest on my blog, wordsmeet.wordpress.com, if you like.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beavering away with your head in the sand Sep 9, 2014

Claire Cox wrote:

I think it's the phrasing of the question that's at issue here. "if you run out of time" suggests you've just been beavering away with your head in the sand until the last possible minute and suddenly realised you're not going to make the deadline - which is obviously unacceptable! As others have said, you should know what you can achieve when you take a job on and if something unexpected happens to put the deadline in doubt, it's your duty to tell the client straightaway so they can take alternative action as soon as possible.

I answered that it had never happened to me, and reacted as Muriel has - I've never knowingly "run out of time" to finish a job I'd promised I'd do. However, there have been occasions on which I've been overtaken by events - when my first baby arrived a week early, for example, and my then husband had to return the translation I was working on half-finished with my profound apologies! (They were very understanding and kindly paid me for what I'd done!). Then there was the time I contracted swine flu, but fortunately only had one job with a fairly generous deadline in my in-tray - again I was able to contact the client in plenty of time for them to make other arrangements. Of course, unforeseen circumstances can happen to anyone and I'm sure most clients would be as understanding as mine have been - but it is up to us to tell them the minute we think there might be a problem, not to struggle on until we really have "run out of time".

What a beautiful phrase! I didn't know about 'beaver away' as a verb. Thanks.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's the character length, folks Sep 9, 2014

I'm going to give the poll author the benefit of the doubt. Surely he/she wanted to say “What do you do when you run out of time (after beavering away with your head in the sand/while distractedly working without looking at the calendar) to complete a project?

I found it very useful to read my colleagues' responses before attempting to work up mine.

Stuff happens even to the best prepared among ourselves. Wanna hear my anecdote? The days before attending a translators
... See more
I'm going to give the poll author the benefit of the doubt. Surely he/she wanted to say “What do you do when you run out of time (after beavering away with your head in the sand/while distractedly working without looking at the calendar) to complete a project?

I found it very useful to read my colleagues' responses before attempting to work up mine.

Stuff happens even to the best prepared among ourselves. Wanna hear my anecdote? The days before attending a translators' conference in San Diego (November 2012), I received a small assignment from a regular client (medical reports).

I usually have to transcribe the report in Spanish, then translate it into US English. I transcribe pretty fast thanks to Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium, v. 12 (for Spanish, for those who are interested).

Nonetheless, I knew I wasn't going to have the time to do the translation (it was about 1000 words, I think) due to my travel time (flying from Ohio to California takes 4-7 hours on coach). So, I loaded my working files on a netbook (a 11-inch laptop) to continue working during flight. I had purchased the laptop, updated Windows 7 to the hilt and prepared it in other ways. On flight, when I opened the laptop and tried to turn it on, Windows crashed and wouldn't run. The hard drive was bad on this new computer.

What to do? I waited to land on San Diego Airport, from where I called my client (with offices in Los Angeles) and informed them of the situation. I sent them the Spanish transcription file (which I had completed prior to my flight) and begged them to reroute the translation assignment to someone else. They weren't thrilled, but they understood. That happened in 2012, and they're still regular customers.

As James Bond says, Never say never. I can understand Muriel's strong response, but I am of the opinion that an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. Yet, we can be hamstrung by life's unexpected vicissitudes and deliver late.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmmm Sep 9, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

I see what you mean, but perhaps rephrase it simply as "What do you do if you can't meet the deadline to complete a project?" That covers a multitude of sins without suggesting you've been in any way negligent or wasting time!

I'm obviously getting good at throwing in UK phrases that are unknown to US ears - my son's American girlfriend is always stopping me in mid-track... ("I'm all at 6's and 7's" was one I used the other day that she hadn't heard before either - glad you liked the beaver image!).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never happened Sep 9, 2014

As far as I can recall, that is never happened to me. I vaguely remember having to ask for extra time for the odd job, but it was a long time ago. Normal procedure is timely delivery, or else ahead of time.

I once had a motorbike accident and ended up in hospital with a double broken wrist while halfway through a translation. I called the boss of the company who ordered the translation and asked them to bring me a laptop. They did and I finished the rest of the translation in my hos
... See more
As far as I can recall, that is never happened to me. I vaguely remember having to ask for extra time for the odd job, but it was a long time ago. Normal procedure is timely delivery, or else ahead of time.

I once had a motorbike accident and ended up in hospital with a double broken wrist while halfway through a translation. I called the boss of the company who ordered the translation and asked them to bring me a laptop. They did and I finished the rest of the translation in my hospital bed using my one good arm...
Collapse

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you Mario Sep 9, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

I hope you can sell your farm under favorable terms. You should write about this in a blog, if you aren't already doing it.

It gives me a warm feeling to see a fellow translator go through life's struggles in 3 dimensions, not just as someone hunched over a keyboard and typing stuff. Thank you for sharing, Alma.

Please consider blogging about it. It's a wonderful story what you have. In fact, you are welcome as a guest on my blog, wordsmeet.wordpress.com, if you like.

Thank you Mario. I am not blogging this, that takes too much time. I have a buyer already, we only wait for the bank to agree with the transaction. Latest news: the factury broke contract. Actually we're relieved, although we prepare ourselves for a long and nasty road through court an d have to find a new buyer. I have a lot of support here, and I long, long, long for a period in which I'll only have to worry about missing a deadline...

Alma

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My understanding . . . Sep 10, 2014

was that the translator had miscalculated the time it would take to do the work or not planned his/her time well enough.

I've been translating for more than 40 years. As far as I can recall, I have always met my deadlines, even when I was in the hospitalized one time direct from the Emergency Room. I finished my translation on my laptop in Intensive Care.

I don't accept work with unreasonable deadlines and I always allow extra time for proofreading and unforeseen circum
... See more
was that the translator had miscalculated the time it would take to do the work or not planned his/her time well enough.

I've been translating for more than 40 years. As far as I can recall, I have always met my deadlines, even when I was in the hospitalized one time direct from the Emergency Room. I finished my translation on my laptop in Intensive Care.

I don't accept work with unreasonable deadlines and I always allow extra time for proofreading and unforeseen circumstances. If I think a deadline is tight I renegotiate before I start, and if the clients don't like it, they go somewhere else--which often happens. In other words, I know my limitations and allow for them.

I have a daily quota system. I have a calendar where I estimate how many words I have to do each day to finish a job. I don't go to bed until I meet that daily quota, even if it means staying up all night.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when you run out of time to complete a project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »