Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever forget to include attachments when delivering your work by email?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 2, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever forget to include attachments when delivering your work by email?".

View the poll results »

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:38
Italian to English
In memoriam
Not any longer Sep 2, 2014

Not since I got into the habit of attaching files to emails BEFORE I write the message

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Winzip issue Sep 2, 2014

When I have to send several elements, I use Winzip; unfortunately the last step (write the winzip file) is not obvious because you already stored the files in the Winzip; that's how I forgot a big invoice! I won't do that twice!

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
My clients don't care Sep 2, 2014

I forget them, rarely but I do. But I'm aware of it as soon as I have sent the e-mail. So I send another mail saying (more or less) "oops" and clients don't mind, at least they are still on my list

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No (maybe once or twice) Sep 2, 2014

Like Giles I usually attach any files before I write the message and I always check my email twice before I send it…

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:08
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Rarely Sep 2, 2014

As a professional, it is daily work for you to send the files as attachments, so It happened rarely with me in starting career.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I usually check... Sep 2, 2014

It happens, but I have worked out routines to make sure I send the right files...

CLOSING the files when I stop working on them (I have been known to send files without saving the final proofreading, and I almost always do a last-minute check before sending them.)

Attaching the files before writing the message
Opening the attached files - or checking an extra time that the right files are in the zipped folder and ALL there...
before sending the mail.
<
... See more
It happens, but I have worked out routines to make sure I send the right files...

CLOSING the files when I stop working on them (I have been known to send files without saving the final proofreading, and I almost always do a last-minute check before sending them.)

Attaching the files before writing the message
Opening the attached files - or checking an extra time that the right files are in the zipped folder and ALL there...
before sending the mail.

I have been known to send the source files, or forget to send cleaned files to clients who cannot clean them, or only to send half the files ... more often than no files at all, but that happens too!

I usually have a niggling doubt after sending the mail if I have forgotten something. If I was distracted by the phone or anything else, I check the sent mail an extra time, and can usually save the situation immediately.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Nobody's perfect! Sep 2, 2014

Of course, it can happen, for the clients, too. We are just human.

But like several others have mentioned, you learn to double-check and implement a couple of QA routines.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not lately Sep 2, 2014

In fact, never since Gmail started picking up on missing attachments. Once I'd been reminded a couple of times, I got into the habit of always using terms it would recognise: attach in English and ci-joint in French both work. But to be honest I don't think it's had to remind me once in the last year.

There's also that lovely "undo" feature that I've used to good effect a couple of times - that has saved some face, I can tell you. No need for that second "sorry, forgot to say..." e
... See more
In fact, never since Gmail started picking up on missing attachments. Once I'd been reminded a couple of times, I got into the habit of always using terms it would recognise: attach in English and ci-joint in French both work. But to be honest I don't think it's had to remind me once in the last year.

There's also that lovely "undo" feature that I've used to good effect a couple of times - that has saved some face, I can tell you. No need for that second "sorry, forgot to say..." email that makes you look so disorganised.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not any more Sep 2, 2014

I answered Sometimes, but that's history. My current version of MT Outlook detects that you intended to attach something by searching the message for certain keywords. When you start to send a file without anything appended, it stops the transmission and flashes a message asking if you meant to attach a file. Normally I don't like the idea of my message being searched, but this is a handy tool.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
No Sep 2, 2014

My email client detects words like "attachment", "attached", etc. and if there is none, it asks me before sending if I forgot.

I also have a habit of opening the attached file(s) to make sure they are the correct files, so there is no way to forget to attach something before sending.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rarely Sep 2, 2014

My email client also detects words like "attachment", and most of my invoices are in English, so if I have missed an attachment, I am reminded. But occasionally I have to send an invoice with an email in Russian, and the Russian equivalents are not detected, so there have been one or two such incidents in those circumstances.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:38
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Muriel, M. Anna and Jack Sep 2, 2014

My email client doesn't allow me to forget attachments

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which is programmed by the same people as my preferred browser, Mozilla Firefox.

Being a long-term user of Microsoft Outlook I was very sceptical about making the switch, especially as I didn't like Mozilla Thunderbird at first, but the updates have been incredible and I'm really pleased with the product, as well as not bein
... See more
My email client doesn't allow me to forget attachments

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which is programmed by the same people as my preferred browser, Mozilla Firefox.

Being a long-term user of Microsoft Outlook I was very sceptical about making the switch, especially as I didn't like Mozilla Thunderbird at first, but the updates have been incredible and I'm really pleased with the product, as well as not being tied to Microsoft.

Thunderbird is completely free!
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Only once Sep 2, 2014

And that one time was due to a much to fast finger. Clicking send instead of attach file. Sigh.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not as much as I used to do Sep 2, 2014

I used to forget attachments nearly every time. However, I eventually discovered that the computer will check for certain key words, so now, if I am attaching something, I always make a point of starting the mail with 'please find attached...'. That way the computer will remind me if I have forgotten to attach the file. Like Jack I have to be careful when sending an email in Russian, though...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever forget to include attachments when delivering your work by email?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »