Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you request a formal purchase order before starting a project?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Sep 1, 2014

Most of my clients send them automatically, so there's no need to request one. Otherwise, email conversations can count as a formal contract here in the US, so I'm covered if there are ever any issues.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 08:08
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Same here Sep 2, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

Not really - as long as the terms of the agreement are clearly set out in an exchange of emails, that is enough for me. Some clients provide formal POs, and that is fine by me, but I would never make starting work conditional on receiving one.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My first-ever job came with a PO Sep 2, 2014

But it contained a mistake in the word order and caused a lot of stress as the client had specified a different number in their email. I thought then that these things only get more complicated if you duplicate things. So I was happy when the next client didn't send one.

Eight or so years later, I'm still in single figures for POs. A client sent one a while back after I'd checked and accepted the job - all it meant was additional checking to be done. All overhead; nothing more. Anyo
... See more
But it contained a mistake in the word order and caused a lot of stress as the client had specified a different number in their email. I thought then that these things only get more complicated if you duplicate things. So I was happy when the next client didn't send one.

Eight or so years later, I'm still in single figures for POs. A client sent one a while back after I'd checked and accepted the job - all it meant was additional checking to be done. All overhead; nothing more. Anyone who starts work without being clear about the job and authorisation to do it is unwise the first time; and foolish if they keep doing it. But nobody needs two sets of instructions.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you request a formal purchase order before starting a project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »