Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you listen to music while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 27, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you listen to music while working?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sindy Cremer. View the poll results »

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
hm... Aug 27, 2014

I suggested this topic for the poll when I was living in Tipperary. That was five years ago and I have seen many similar questions in the poll in the meantime...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:12
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, but ... Aug 27, 2014

Only instrumental 'easy listening' stuff. I save the harder core fusion, jazz and vocal stuff for later on.

@Sindy
5 years to see your poll here. Wow! But, then, it is a long way to Tipperary, isn't it.

Small edit

[Edited at 2014-08-28 00:27 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 27, 2014

I prefer silence (but for the inevitable traffic noise, occasional siren, construction noise or overhead plane going by as I live in an urban environment) or at the most a very low volume TV on in the background.

This question was asked
... See more
I prefer silence (but for the inevitable traffic noise, occasional siren, construction noise or overhead plane going by as I live in an urban environment) or at the most a very low volume TV on in the background.

This question was asked many times before:

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/230233-poll_can_you_translate_while_listening_to_music.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/253555-poll_do_you_listen_to_music_while_translating-page2.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/191125-poll_do_you_listen_to_different_sorts_of_music_depending_on_what_you_are_translating.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/189259-poll_do_you_listen_to_music_while_working.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/142247-poll_do_you_enjoy_listening_to_music_while_you_work.html
(…)
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 27, 2014

Music blunts my sensitivity to the rhythm of the languages I'm working in. I think it's highly distracting.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 27, 2014

I almost always have the radio on in the background, or some sort of music. I occasionally prefer to work in silence, but only rarely. As a rule I prefer to have some sort of background filler, as silence can be unnerving or a distraction.

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aye... Aug 27, 2014

Yes, Teresa, as I wrote earlier: I submitted this poll five (!) years ago and have seen many similar questions since

Rudolf Frans Maulany
Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Aug 27, 2014

No, not while translating(for other manual work and also during a break it is OK) because according to a study listening to music for a long time especially using a headphone can cause depression.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 13:12
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Aug 27, 2014

No, although I can usually hear birds singing from where I work, which I find comforting.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And... Aug 27, 2014

... if I searched more, I’m sure I would find a fair few using a slightly different format!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Aug 27, 2014

It depends on my mood.

But only instrumental and usually classic.

[Edited at 2014-08-27 12:37 GMT]

Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Almost always Aug 27, 2014

Almost always, and a lot of times it's just one song I feel like listening at the time on repeat for hours.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:12
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This is a really, really good question, but... Aug 27, 2014

I answered this poll with a vague "sometimes" kind of response, when in fact the real answer is "NO, I do not". Not because I dislike music - on the contrary, I still have a separate website which I contribute to from time to time (being an ex-web developer), but I have found, over the years, that music is just too distracting from the technical nuts and bots of translating. I'm now revising a document of 15k words, and even now the music is turned off.

I guess as I've got older I'v
... See more
I answered this poll with a vague "sometimes" kind of response, when in fact the real answer is "NO, I do not". Not because I dislike music - on the contrary, I still have a separate website which I contribute to from time to time (being an ex-web developer), but I have found, over the years, that music is just too distracting from the technical nuts and bots of translating. I'm now revising a document of 15k words, and even now the music is turned off.

I guess as I've got older I've become slightly more fearful and self-concious about the quality of my end-product, and I'm not saying that as a marketing ploy to potential readers - hey look at me, I'm slightly more professional than the next guy, what a load of tosh, but sincerely because I don't feel comfortable with music turned on, on a regular basis when I have serious work to do. Sometimes I get frustrated that I CAN'T listen to music because I have too much work.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Aug 27, 2014

Either you're listening to the music and not concentrating on your work, or you're concentrating on your work and not listening to the music

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 08:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Sometimes: especially with the easy stuff Aug 27, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Either you're listening to the music and not concentrating on your work, or you're concentrating on your work and not listening to the music

I think that listening to music can enhance my work, especially if it is easy. You see, it takes away some of the monotony of the task. I'm talking about those projects where your fingers practically translate them without your knowing. I admit that I have something of a gift for listening to music and doing other tasks. I am able to separate the music from the given task into "channels". My father was even able to listen to sports radio while he was practicing his trombone. So it's in the family.

However, I would never dream of listening to music for projects requiring a lot of attention or research or if I'm pressed for a deadline.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you listen to music while working?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »