Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you listen to music while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ümit Karahan
Ümit Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:37
English to Turkish
+ ...
Unfortunately not! Aug 27, 2014

I would love to, but i can not because it distracts my concentration on work and slows me down.

But, working in a music-free environment becomes very boring after a while.

I mean, i am not happy with it but i have to shut down the music.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:37
Japanese to English
Sometimes Aug 27, 2014

It depends on what I'm working on. If it's something that demands my full powers of concentration then I go for complete silence. If it's something relatively routine or I'm rereading and editing a file then music actually helps my mind not to wander. For best results I try to listen to either music without words (classical mainly), music I'm very familiar with or music in a language I don't understand.

María González, M.A. English
María González, M.A. English  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:37
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 27, 2014

Rarely while translating to avoid distractions, but I usually do listen to soft music when I need to get boring office work (invoicing, filing, taxes, etc.) done.

Tuned to online radio right now --Tracy Chapman's on air

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 19:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes I need to... Aug 27, 2014

...if I'm translating a libretto I find it helps to find the right tone!

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
depends Aug 27, 2014

During daylight hours, I prefer to work in silence most of the time,
although sometimes I will put on NPR or an online streaming Baroque music radio channel ( http://avrobaroque.rad.io is quite excellent).
(while I listen to anything from Swedish death metal to bluegrass music in the car or when not working, etc.)

At night, I like to put the TV on, oddly, just as background noise.
... See more
During daylight hours, I prefer to work in silence most of the time,
although sometimes I will put on NPR or an online streaming Baroque music radio channel ( http://avrobaroque.rad.io is quite excellent).
(while I listen to anything from Swedish death metal to bluegrass music in the car or when not working, etc.)

At night, I like to put the TV on, oddly, just as background noise.
I work around the clock when there's work to be had, because as we all know, sometimes there isn't any.
Collapse

Geraldine Feuillien
Geraldine Feuillien  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:37
English to French
+ ...
Quite often Aug 28, 2014

Instrumental relaxing music helps me to be in the right mood to work. Without music, life would be a mistake. )

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you listen to music while working?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »