Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 13, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?".

This poll was originally submitted by Daniel Pestana. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:39
German to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2014

I use a smartphone for accessing e-mail while I'm out and about and, somewhat controversially, for making and receiving phone calls. It gives me the freedom to actually leave my desk occasionally!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 13, 2014

I will give exactly the same answer I gave last year to a very similar quick poll:

When I'm out my calls are redirected to my mobile (a dumbphone) and I always carry with me a very mini laptop to check my emails if I'm away more than 1 h
... See more
I will give exactly the same answer I gave last year to a very similar quick poll:

When I'm out my calls are redirected to my mobile (a dumbphone) and I always carry with me a very mini laptop to check my emails if I'm away more than 1 hour.

http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/243793-poll_do_you_use_a_smartphone_for_work_related_tasks.html

[Edited at 2014-08-13 08:21 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:39
Russian to English
+ ...
Just to make phone calls, Aug 13, 2014

if that counts, when I am far from a landline.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
No Aug 13, 2014

I don't have a smartphone and I don't plan to get one. I do have a prehistoric mobile phone which only makes and receives calls and texts, so I can be contacted in emergencies. However, I think modern society has forgotten the importance of being able to switch off and be unavailable from time to time.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes but with limited access only Aug 13, 2014

I access my private yahoo account which I tell a few 'valued' customers for updates on important projects that I must keep tabs on. Hoi polloi or run-of-the-mill customers are not so privileged.

I also use it for - gasp! - making phone calls as well.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Yes Aug 13, 2014

Mary Worby wrote:

I use a smartphone for accessing e-mail while I'm out and about

Same here. I don't have to be glued to my desk all the time, and still know if anything new came while I'm out.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 13, 2014

Somebody gave me one but I don't use it - I prefer my little dumbphone, it only cost 17€ and is good for texting and calling - it doesn't even have a camera. I think smartphones are designed for people with too much spare time on their hands.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Aug 13, 2014

I just have an oldfashioned cell phone to make and receive calls on the road.

I have invested in a mini iPad instead, because I find the screen of a smartphone too small to work with.

[Edited at 2014-08-13 09:38 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2014

I like to type all my translations on my phone because the keyboard is just the right size and the predictive text saves me loads of time

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hmmm... Aug 13, 2014

Helen Hagon wrote:

I don't have a smartphone and I don't plan to get one. I do have a prehistoric mobile phone which only makes and receives calls and texts, so I can be contacted in emergencies. However, I think modern society has forgotten the importance of being able to switch off and be unavailable from time to time.

Dear Helen, yes, it is still important, being able to switch off. But if you have permanent clients and employees, you have a bigger responsibility as usual. I can peacefully turn off my mobile if I would be on a vacation but if I would be unavailable "from time to time", I could close my small office very quickly. I am not a smartphone fan but my smartphone for me is a very useful secretary, supplementing memory, and somebody whom I can always walk hand by hand if I have a fear

María González, M.A. English
María González, M.A. English  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could do without, but... Aug 13, 2014

For the most part, I use my smartphone just to check my work email when out of the office. Sometimes, however, I get some short translation work done on it too, but I'd rather use a device with a much larger screen -- that is, my PC-- for the 'real thing'

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:39
German to English
+ ...
Not everyone has a smart phone Aug 13, 2014

It's that simple.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
All the time... Aug 13, 2014

Due to the fact that here wi-fi networks are somewhat scarce and sometimes unavailable, I have to rely on the data network to check my email whenever I'm about or have to travel.
I also give my mobile phone to clients so they can reach me any time.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:39
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Aug 13, 2014

The cell keys are small and useless to translate properly.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »