Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
French to English
I carry an iPhone... Aug 13, 2014

... with me at all times - ever hopeful of receiving a marvellous job offer!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
Hebrew to English
I'm going to give a different answer than the last poll... Aug 13, 2014

Yes. I do. (Receiving and sending emails when away from home).

I have recently got my first smartphone and I find it hard to believe I ever managed without it.

Oliver Lawrence
Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:59
Italian to English
+ ...
Re Hmmm Aug 13, 2014

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:
if you have permanent clients and employees, you have a bigger responsibility

While I believe in providing excellent service and being flexible within reason, clients do not have a right to expect translators to be on call outside normal office hours except by prior agreement.

When I am away, I put my email on autoreply, which states when I shall be back and gives my current availability.

There is a limit as to how much business life can reasonably be expected to encroach on personal life.

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Holidays Aug 14, 2014

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

if you have permanent clients and employees, you have a bigger responsibility as usual. I can peacefully turn off my mobile if I would be on a vacation...

I took my smartphone (my only phone) on holiday without disabling my emails, and I have to say I'm glad I did: I landed at least one decent-sized job - for when I returned, I hasten to add - that would almost certainly have gone to someone else had the (second-time) client had to wait more than two weeks to find out whether I was going to be able to do it. I haven't yet reached the stage where that is neither here nor there, and actually, checking my emails just once a day bought me considerable peace of mind and even, I think, increased my ability to switch off completely all the rest of the time.

Rudolf Frans Maulany
Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Aug 14, 2014

I have a smartphone but because it is to small I do not use it for work-related task.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Yes Aug 14, 2014

The screen is too small for actual translating but there are other translation-related things you can do with a smartphone.

The kindle app, for example, lets me access the reference works in my kindle account even if I haven't got the kindle with me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a smartphone for work-related tasks?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »