Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Does your workflow decrease during the summer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 7, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does your workflow decrease during the summer?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:21
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not any more Aug 7, 2014

As I said last year (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/253579-poll_in_general_do_you_work_less_during_the_summer.html), my workflow used to decrease during the summer months but things have changed and these last 2/3 years I have seen no difference at all...

Anyway, when it's our summer it's somebody else's win
... See more
As I said last year (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/253579-poll_in_general_do_you_work_less_during_the_summer.html), my workflow used to decrease during the summer months but things have changed and these last 2/3 years I have seen no difference at all...

Anyway, when it's our summer it's somebody else's winter...

[Edited at 2014-08-07 10:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-07 15:24 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:21
Member (2006)
German to English
No, increased Aug 7, 2014

drastically this year. I think everyone must be on holiday at the moment. I am having to turn down loads of work at the moment because I am simply too busy.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 02:21
Turkish to English
+ ...
Usually it does, but ... Aug 7, 2014

... this year I have been working at close to capacity since the end of May.

Rudolf Frans Maulany
Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Depends on contract Aug 7, 2014

Depends on contract with my clients(for example a Publisher) If it is fixed the workflow is usually stable.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
During the summer... where? Aug 7, 2014

I am in the Southern hemisphere, and my workload (I guess it was what the asker meant by workflow) throughout a 12-mo. period is about equally split between domestic (Brazil) and foreign (mostly USA) clients.

However I would say that the combined demand is quite erratic. Whenever I think that I detected some seasonal trend, the next year proves me wrong.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2014

Work coming in from some of my regulars might slacken off, but other stuff tends to come in from other sources. For example an agency sent me something last week and I hadn't done anything for them in a year or two. So it's swings and roundabouts really; basically if I stick my head above the parapet and make myself available, there's work to be had if I want to accept it.

[Edited at 2014-08-07 11:09 GMT]

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Aug 7, 2014

I don't really notice a specific trend from summer to summer. This year July was quiet but August is looking pretty busy. I do tend to work less hours during summer for various reasons ... but not because there is less work. I usually still have to turn some jobs down.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:21
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no real trend either way Aug 7, 2014

there will sometimes be a slow period during the summer. It was actually kind of quiet in june but since then I have been steadily working...not overwhelmed but consistently working and now, doing a large proofing job that will probably continue for most of the rest of august!

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Summer? Aug 7, 2014

A very northern-hemisphere-centric question if I may say so. One's summer is another's winter......I assume you mean US/European summer?

ArtefactHT
ArtefactHT  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Still too early for me to answer that... Aug 7, 2014

... as I launched my freelance business this past May after 11 years of working for companies!

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
Increases Aug 7, 2014

As Michael mentioned, a lot of translators take holidays during the summer.

I tend to recommend to new translators to try to get their foot in the door either in August or over Christmas and New Year because it's the time when serious agencies with long-term relationships will be willing to give a new translator a chance since their 'A' team is on vacation.

I have no children, so my schedule is my own and I tend to take vacations at off-peak times both to minimize loss
... See more
As Michael mentioned, a lot of translators take holidays during the summer.

I tend to recommend to new translators to try to get their foot in the door either in August or over Christmas and New Year because it's the time when serious agencies with long-term relationships will be willing to give a new translator a chance since their 'A' team is on vacation.

I have no children, so my schedule is my own and I tend to take vacations at off-peak times both to minimize loss of work and take advantage of really good travel deals

Case in point, I work on recurrent financial projects with a few of my long-term agencies - through batch numbers, I can usually ascertain throughout the year that I get between 1/3 and 1/2 of the project for those end clients to which I'm assigned at any given time; this month I got 85% of the project. I expect that by the next large project, at the end of the 3rd quarter I'll be back to 1/3 or 1/2 of the project since time is of the essence.

I recently mentioned on facebook that the job posts for En->Fre had gone up from an average of 1-3 a day to over 20 a day this month; even though I've been so busy as to pulling 12-hour days I took 15 minutes to answer 2 interesting agencies looking for long term collaboration - it truly is the best time to find new clients because even though the demand for work isn't higher over the summer, the offer is much lower so you have a better chance of being noticed... as well as booking a 60-hour week should you so choose
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Good luck! Aug 7, 2014

ArtefactHT wrote:

... as I launched my freelance business this past May after 11 years of working for companies!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
unbelievable Aug 7, 2014

This year in July we finally returned to the same level we had before the global crisis. And still August is pretty busy, thanks God

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Only if I make it happen Aug 7, 2014

I try to reduce the amount of work I do over the school summer holidays in order to spend some time with my children. I am currently finishing off a long-term project and then hoping to have a couple of weeks off later this month. I usually tell my regular customers when I am going to be unavailable but, as the holiday period approaches, I find I receive more job offers than usual from those agencies for whom I only work on an occasional basis. Presumably this is because their regular translator... See more
I try to reduce the amount of work I do over the school summer holidays in order to spend some time with my children. I am currently finishing off a long-term project and then hoping to have a couple of weeks off later this month. I usually tell my regular customers when I am going to be unavailable but, as the holiday period approaches, I find I receive more job offers than usual from those agencies for whom I only work on an occasional basis. Presumably this is because their regular translators are an holiday and so project managers are obliged to work their way down their lists of translators until they find someone for the job. If I wanted, I could probably keep myself very busy throughout the summer.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your workflow decrease during the summer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »