Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does your workflow decrease during the summer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:15
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Aug 7, 2014

Workflow has nothing to do with any season.
Rolf

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
July was frenetic - as always! Aug 7, 2014

It was always like that in the south of France (not that I had more than one local client); and it's like it now I live in Fuerteventura. I don't think it's because I live in these places; it's rather that, being based in prime holiday areas, I'd rather be working at home during the heat of the day than surrounded by masses of tourists. Here in the Canary Islands especially, I can take my holidays whenever I like (it's an all-year-round resort and I'm only 4 km from a world-renowned dunes beach)... See more
It was always like that in the south of France (not that I had more than one local client); and it's like it now I live in Fuerteventura. I don't think it's because I live in these places; it's rather that, being based in prime holiday areas, I'd rather be working at home during the heat of the day than surrounded by masses of tourists. Here in the Canary Islands especially, I can take my holidays whenever I like (it's an all-year-round resort and I'm only 4 km from a world-renowned dunes beach), so I choose to work when other translators are on holiday. I "look after" a few clients for holidaying translators on a regular, on-going basis, but I also find that the number of private messages I get through this site really rockets in July and August. I don't think I normally apply for any jobs during those months - they queue in my inbox!

July was so incredibly busy that we're actually going to spend two nights in a good hotel just 4 km away this weekend. I think it's about time my husband was pampered a bit and we spent some time together, rather than him dishing up meals and me emerging for just long enough to eat them. Seven out of the ten clients I invoiced last month have already paid so it's time to blow some of that hard-earned cash, and celebrate the fact that after 15 years as a freelancer I at last have a really solid base of good clients, rather than a shaky base of not-so-good ones.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
So I've noticed Aug 7, 2014

Rolf Kern wrote:

Workflow has nothing to do with any season.
Rolf

It's not so much a particular season, but rather a specific month that has rendered a slow workflow over the past few years. But even this can change next year.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
German to English
+ ...
Unpredictable Aug 7, 2014

So far it's been quite busy.

Cathy Przybylski
Cathy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to French
+ ...
increased Aug 8, 2014

As I mainly work in administrative fields, I often have some big files to translate during the summer. Deadlines are not as tight as during the other seasons. That is for these two main reasons that I don't mind working during the summer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your workflow decrease during the summer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »