Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have any alternative source(s) of income other than translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but related to translation Aug 6, 2014

I also build websites for small businesses and have recently completed my smartphone "app", which I started selling to my clients this past month. The app is just an easier way to provide multilingual content for tourist attractions, though it is, by design, very flexible and can be used in dozens of different ways.

I'm looking for investors if anyone has a few hundred thousand dollars laying around

Abraham Abukar
Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:04
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
Special Education Teacher Aug 6, 2014

Yes, for the past thirteen years I have been fortune enough to work with special needs students at local high school.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I never like to put all my eggs in one basket Aug 7, 2014

Apart from translating I do monolingual English work - anything I feel qualified to do, which can be QC checks on target texts for translation agencies to total restructuring of marketing materials for fellow professionals. I'm also hoping to revive my "CV in English" workshop in the not-too-distant future. Then, if income drops I might do some more EFL business training, though rates here on Fuerteventura are lousy.

Then there's the rental income from a house, my husband's income a
... See more
Apart from translating I do monolingual English work - anything I feel qualified to do, which can be QC checks on target texts for translation agencies to total restructuring of marketing materials for fellow professionals. I'm also hoping to revive my "CV in English" workshop in the not-too-distant future. Then, if income drops I might do some more EFL business training, though rates here on Fuerteventura are lousy.

Then there's the rental income from a house, my husband's income and pensions, and I'll be drawing the first two of my pensions next year.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:04
French to English
property and lodgers Aug 7, 2014

I only make a fraction of what my partner makes, and he has invested a lot in property. The money pours into his account but half is legally mine since my name is on all the documents as joint owner. He deals with all the hassle and pays for our children's education so that's fine by me.
And we have a couple of lodgers at home too. I only charge a symbolic amount, because we don't do it for the money, it's more to help out the children of friends or friends of friends who couldn't afford t
... See more
I only make a fraction of what my partner makes, and he has invested a lot in property. The money pours into his account but half is legally mine since my name is on all the documents as joint owner. He deals with all the hassle and pays for our children's education so that's fine by me.
And we have a couple of lodgers at home too. I only charge a symbolic amount, because we don't do it for the money, it's more to help out the children of friends or friends of friends who couldn't afford to study in Paris otherwise. But I do need to declare it as income tax.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have any alternative source(s) of income other than translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »