Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you proud of your profession?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 29, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you proud of your profession?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, somewhat Jul 29, 2014

However, the plethora of inept would-bes out there prevents me saying "definitely"... There are many truly cringeworthy efforts published, especially online, even by official bodies, which one feels should know better. For example, any significant company or organisation using MT on its website immediately slumps in my estimation.

[Edited at 2014-07-29 08:20 GMT]

Pompeo Lattanzi
Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In spite of being an essential trade Jul 29, 2014

translating is not acknowledged nor respected. Many believe you can translate by copy/paste into Google Translator, so they balk at the abysmally low cost of a translation, instead of thinking how much it would cost them to wrongly interpret something written in a different language.
It's not a matter of money, society's recognition is important to the individual, and it just so happens that our kind of society expresses value in hard currency.
So, no, I don't feel recognized, and th
... See more
translating is not acknowledged nor respected. Many believe you can translate by copy/paste into Google Translator, so they balk at the abysmally low cost of a translation, instead of thinking how much it would cost them to wrongly interpret something written in a different language.
It's not a matter of money, society's recognition is important to the individual, and it just so happens that our kind of society expresses value in hard currency.
So, no, I don't feel recognized, and therefore I am not proud of this otherwise beautiful and very useful profession.
Collapse

Rudolf Frans Maulany
Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes, sure Jul 29, 2014

Yes, because from my previous experience as a freelance translator and also a medical doctor I had never expected to be able to be assigned and work with an international team and live abroad for about 6 years via my profession as professional translator with an international peace keeping organization.

Income as a translator during my time was also good.

What makes me also proud as a translator is to be able to translate about 19 major medical and nursi
... See more
Yes, because from my previous experience as a freelance translator and also a medical doctor I had never expected to be able to be assigned and work with an international team and live abroad for about 6 years via my profession as professional translator with an international peace keeping organization.

Income as a translator during my time was also good.

What makes me also proud as a translator is to be able to translate about 19 major medical and nursing books & textbook and medical publication which was published and also saw it was sold in bookshops and was read by medical students in their study to become a doctor.

[Edited at 2014-07-29 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the way down and out, unfortunately. Jul 29, 2014

There are many excellent people in the profession, but the proportion of embarrassingly inept questions on ProZ by self-proclaimed native speakers tells a tale. Some seem to know neither their source nor target language particularly well (and of course have no idea of the subject matter).

/end-of-rant

Alessandra Maugeri
Alessandra Maugeri  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I wouldn't say "proud"... Jul 29, 2014

... but still crazy, after all these years...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - somewhat Jul 29, 2014

I am proud to be a translator, but I'm ashamed of the wide range of compensation. I can't think of a single other profession in which the low rates are one-third of the high rates--and there are people who are willing to work for them.

This problem has been going on for at least 40 years, as far as I know, and I doubt it will ever change. It only seems to be getting worse.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, somewhat Jul 29, 2014

neilmac wrote:

However, the plethora of inept would-bes out there prevents me saying "definitely"... There are many truly cringeworthy efforts published, especially online, even by official bodies, which one feels should know better. For example, any significant company or organisation using MT on its website immediately slumps in my estimation.

[Edited at 2014-07-29 08:20 GMT]

and also agree with DLyons...

and also with Muriel about these (probably same inept) people who are willing to work for low rates thus forcing a race to the bottom.

[Edited at 2014-07-29 09:44 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
proud of being part of a profession that bridges the cultural divide Jul 29, 2014

I'm proud of a fair amount of the work I do rather than of my profession.

I'm proud of being part of a profession that bridges the cultural divide.

and still crazy (thank you Alessandra, I'll be humming that all day now)

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Yes, somewhat... Jul 29, 2014

And I wholeheartedly agree with neilmac ...

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:24
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Yes definitely Jul 29, 2014

I respect my business and I love it. It is my life. I have fulfilled every materialistic necessity from my work. Of course I am proud of my profession.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, somewhat! Jul 29, 2014

Times have changed for sure (and not for the better)! Some 40/50 years ago almost everyone would say: “A translator! What’s that?” and nowadays everybody is a “translator”...

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 17:24
English to Tamil
+ ...
Definitely! Jul 29, 2014

Yeah! I love translations and translating. Translating gives me immense pleasure. Not only that, it challenges me. I am willing to take risks and challenges. I can't think of a life without challenges.

I am proud of my profession. Translating is not only my profession, it is my hobby also. As a professional, I translate medical texts, NGO publications, writings by philosophers and statesmen, introductory books, etc. As a hobby, I translate short poems, film lyrics, film dialogues,
... See more
Yeah! I love translations and translating. Translating gives me immense pleasure. Not only that, it challenges me. I am willing to take risks and challenges. I can't think of a life without challenges.

I am proud of my profession. Translating is not only my profession, it is my hobby also. As a professional, I translate medical texts, NGO publications, writings by philosophers and statesmen, introductory books, etc. As a hobby, I translate short poems, film lyrics, film dialogues, articles on musicians and music, etc.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Of course, but... Jul 29, 2014

I am proud of being a professional translator among other professional translators. But...

DLyons wrote:

There are many excellent people in the profession, but the proportion of embarrassingly inept questions on ProZ by self-proclaimed native speakers tells a tale. Some seem to know neither their source nor target language particularly well (and of course have no idea of the subject matter).

/end-of-rant

I am not at all proud of being "thrown into the same pot" with self-proclaimed translators.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jul 29, 2014

What is there to be proud of? It's just a job. We're not saving lives.

I'm proud of most of my work, but that's not the same thing.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you proud of your profession?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »