Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Where do you usually work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 28, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you usually work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Oksana Gerasymets. View the poll results »

Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:34
German to English
At home Jul 28, 2014

Got my own office in my flat.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
At home Jul 28, 2014

For family reasons, I move a lot between Brussels and Lisbon. So, when I am in Brussels, I work at home in my purpose-built office, when I am in Lisbon either in my (very small) study or, weather permitting, on my terrace...

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:34
Member (2006)
German to English
No usually, Jul 28, 2014

but always at home. No hassel with travelling to work every day

Rudolf Frans Maulany
Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mostly at home and also in my office Jul 28, 2014

Previously besides in my office I do most of the translations at home but now after retirement I do it entirely at home.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 28, 2014

When not working on my laptop at the local beach bar sipping cocktails and watching the sun go down, I work in a separate office that I own

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 02:04
English to Tamil
+ ...
All the options except Other! Jul 28, 2014

Actually I like all the options listed here. Even then, I prefer working in my home. Because I have everything in my home. Personal Computer, In addition to dictionaries, encyclopedias, I have a great collection of about 2000 books.

Suppose I get an article on Postmodernism in English. I was asked to translate it into Tamil. Before starting the translation, I will try to understand what is postmodernism by reading the original article. Even then I am not satisfied with my understan
... See more
Actually I like all the options listed here. Even then, I prefer working in my home. Because I have everything in my home. Personal Computer, In addition to dictionaries, encyclopedias, I have a great collection of about 2000 books.

Suppose I get an article on Postmodernism in English. I was asked to translate it into Tamil. Before starting the translation, I will try to understand what is postmodernism by reading the original article. Even then I am not satisfied with my understanding of postmodernism. Then what will I do? I have atleast 5 introductory books on postmodernism in English, that too in simple English. I will try to read the first 5 pages of every book I have on postmodernism. Then I will get an idea about postmodernism.

This I can't do in a rented office. I will have to transfer my entire library to my office. That's impossible. Because I need postmodernism books round the clock, in my home. During midnight, I may need a postmodernism book. I can't go to my office to clear my doubts. If I go to my office at midnight, people will come to a conclusion that I am mad.

I am an eccentric. I accept that. But I am not mad. Shared office is also O.K. But others working in the shared office should have a wavelength which matches my own wavelength! Otherwise it is pointless to share office with others.

Cafe and Library are also O.K. to me.

Once again, coming to the first option, i.e. working at home, I have everything in my home. Fridge, Cot, Clean Toilet, Bathroom, Backyard where I can breathe natural air which gives me immense happiness, My Library with about 2000 books, mostly literature, but I also have books on Linguistics, Psychology, Literary Criticism, Sports, Painting, Sculpture, Cinema, Photography, Archeology, Computer, Politics, etc., Cable connected television, Landline phone, Kitchen, etc.

I need not worry about traveling to my office. I need not worry about others who share my office.

That is why, I prefer working at home.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
At home Jul 28, 2014

In an extra bedroom, now fully converted to office use with bookshelves lining the walls, three desks, file cabinets, etc.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Other Jul 28, 2014

Wherever I am at the moment. Been traveling for the last 5 years so I've worked in mountain chalets (where I am now), beach houses, trains, hotels, seaside resorts, houses and apartments of friends and family, etc.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Anywhere but home... Jul 28, 2014

...unless, of course, I have to put in some extra hours or need to be there for some reason.
I have to go out every day, otherwise I go bananas staying home all day working.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
At home Jul 28, 2014

Being able to work at home in my special office space, dressed casually and with a decent supply of coffee within reach, is one of the advantages of being a freelancer. The only exception is when I travel.

Diana Alsobrook
Diana Alsobrook  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Same here! Jul 28, 2014

Marcus Malabad wrote:

Wherever I am at the moment. Been traveling for the last 5 years so I've worked in mountain chalets (where I am now), beach houses, trains, hotels, seaside resorts, houses and apartments of friends and family, etc.

Same here! I work from home, except when I travel... And I've definitely worked from some interesting places! I figure, why not make the most of it if we're not tied down to an office? I bring my laptop, my own internet and VPN, and I'm all set!

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
At home Jul 28, 2014

...which is the best option economically under the Ontario Tax system. I get all the deductions without the extra cost or commute of an outside office.
The only problem is that you need to be structured in order to avoid work taking over all of the rest of your life, since it so "conveniently located" in your house.

María González, M.A. English
María González, M.A. English  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
At home Jul 28, 2014

Like 92% of us (thus far). I wouldn't trade my small, cozy home office for the world!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I prefer working outside Jul 28, 2014

I really love going down to a cafe or the beach to work.

Last summer I went island hopping in Greece and there is nothing like working on your laptop while sipping on some κρασι with some ψιτω χτοποδι watching the sun go down.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you usually work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »