Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
At home... for now Jul 28, 2014

We have converted about half our house into a giant office space. I like it, but I find that I translate better and faster when I'm not at home. I just have fewer distractions. I hope to rent an office in the city in a couple of months.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:26
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
At home Jul 28, 2014

I wouldn't trade my setting for anything...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Working at home Jul 28, 2014

Like most of you, I work at home in an ample space that I have designated as my home office with all the comforts and minimum distractions.

I recently read an article in The Wall Street Journal regarding how people get less stressed when they spend time at work vs. spending time at home, and the reasons for that. One of the reasons is that home-based chores are sometimes thankless tasks, always unpaid and not often recognized.

One solution? Make your home more like your
... See more
Like most of you, I work at home in an ample space that I have designated as my home office with all the comforts and minimum distractions.

I recently read an article in The Wall Street Journal regarding how people get less stressed when they spend time at work vs. spending time at home, and the reasons for that. One of the reasons is that home-based chores are sometimes thankless tasks, always unpaid and not often recognized.

One solution? Make your home more like your workplace.

As for the mantra of being able to work anywhere with a laptop and an Internet connection, well, I disagree. I need immediate access to my books and dictionaries, as the Internet does not —and will never— have all the reputable and reliable knowledge that I can process into usable information for my translations.

As an introvert, I'm very sensitive to interruptions of my work, so, yes, I prefer to work at home right now.
Collapse

Daniel Penso
Daniel Penso
United States
Local time: 09:26
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Right on! Jul 29, 2014

Chris S wrote:

When not working on my laptop at the local beach bar sipping cocktails and watching the sun go down, I work in a separate office that I own

I like Chris S's approach.
Catch the waves while laying down some words on the typewriter.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Only kidding Jul 29, 2014

Daniel1223 wrote:

Chris S wrote:

When not working on my laptop at the local beach bar sipping cocktails and watching the sun go down, I work in a separate office that I own

I like Chris S's approach.
Catch the waves while laying down some words on the typewriter.

Wales is not noted for its beach bars, or sunshine for that matter

That said, we have had a cracking summer so far, and my "go biking if sunny, work if cloudy" approach could make me a poor man this year

Oksana Gerasymets
Oksana Gerasymets  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
a few questions... Jul 29, 2014

Mario, do you remember the title of the article in the WSJ? I'd like to read it.

My main reason I don't work on my laptop elsewhere is that batteries won't hold longer than 3 hours and I know very few place where I can plug in. So, how are you doing it on beaches? Do you have extra battery or your laptop batteries hold for 8-9 hours?

Triston & Gaby wrote:

We have converted about half our house into a giant office space. I like it, but I find that I translate better and faster when I'm not at home. I just have fewer distractions. I hope to rent an office in the city in a couple of months.

Same here... except for the part of having giant office space Distractions are inevitable part of working at home but some of us can cope with them much better than others.

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

I wouldn't trade my setting for anything...

How do you manage to focus while working at home? Do you have a separate room?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Peace and quiet Jul 29, 2014

Oksana Gerasymets wrote:

How do you manage to focus while working at home? Do you have a separate room?

Having worked at home in the dim and distant past in bedrooms, living rooms and separate offices, I'd say it doesn't really matter where you are, just as long as you're undisturbed!

Oksana Gerasymets
Oksana Gerasymets  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
How about "all in one" room? Jul 29, 2014

Chris S wrote:
Having worked at home in the dim and distant past in bedrooms, living rooms and separate offices, I'd say it doesn't really matter where you are, just as long as you're undisturbed!

You have a point here though I do think a lot depends on size. Say, living and working in a small single room which serves you as an office, bedroom, living room and dining room, will probably make you feel a bit claustrophobic.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you usually work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »