Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you buy the books you've translated?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you buy the books you've translated?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sandra Freland. View the poll results »

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:10
English to German
+ ...
Free sample Jul 24, 2014

Usually you get at least one sample (if not 5) for free.

Gudrun

Maja_K
Maja_K  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Other Jul 24, 2014

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

Usually you get at least one sample (if not 5) for free.

Gudrun

With Gudrun here - I got one free sample of the book for which I made the translation.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 24, 2014

Me too, I usually get at least one sample for free.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'd love to Jul 24, 2014

I'd love to translate books but haven't translated any yet...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Normally no Jul 24, 2014

I did buy several copies of one book - about a region of Denmark and its traditional recipes - as a Christmas present for several members of the family.

I don't often translate books at all. But one sample is plenty!

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
Local time: 15:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 24, 2014

The publisher gives me 5 copies.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:10
Turkish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 24, 2014

I was going to say that the only book I have ever translated has not been published, although I was given a free copy of the original book in Turkish to work from, then I just remembered that I translated three guide books from German to English that were published in 2001 and I think I was sent a free copy of each one.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Are you kidding-- Jul 24, 2014

you usually get three copies for free. I don't need more ethan that, unless you want to give the book to someone as a gift.

Did anyone ask you to translate the book (almost for free) and then buy it?

[Edited at 2014-07-24 09:36 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Should get one free of charge Jul 24, 2014

As a matter of elegance rather than justice, the translator should receive a free copy just like the author.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No - I usually get at least one courtesy copy... Jul 24, 2014

... when my name appears on the cover.

When I am a(n obviously uncredited) ghost-translator in part of it, what's the point of buying it?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:10
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Jul 24, 2014

One usually gets a few leftover copies from the printer. I also show them to new potential customers when I meet them to show them that I'm a real 'published' translator. This beefs up my portfolio and proves to them I'm kosher.

But since 95%+ of my work is technical translation, this, unfortunately, really does not count for much.

Eckhard Boehle
Eckhard Boehle  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Other Jul 24, 2014

I used to work on several English-German and Spanish-German dictionaries and always got 2 free copies afterwards.
A long time ago, when I had translated an English-German dictionary on Agriculture I had the somewhat strange idea to buy some copies to give away as promotion to potential clients which I never did.
Later, I just made a copy of the list of authors in the beginning of this book and others I had worked on instead.

Christine Gardner
Christine Gardner  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other - I always receive a complimentary copy Jul 24, 2014

Whether it's a non-fiction book or articles for a magazine, I always receive a copy and my name is included in the credits.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 24, 2014

I translated one book with my name on the cover (Mexico and the Oil Controversy, Lorenzo Meyer, Univ. Texas Press), and the publisher gave me 2 copies.

I also translated a book for which I received credit in the acknowledgments (The Atlantic Forest of South America, Island Press), but I had to buy that copy. It's a good reference to have on hand.

In addition, I have translated quite a few books for the Pan American Health Organization, my alma mater,which were consider
... See more
I translated one book with my name on the cover (Mexico and the Oil Controversy, Lorenzo Meyer, Univ. Texas Press), and the publisher gave me 2 copies.

I also translated a book for which I received credit in the acknowledgments (The Atlantic Forest of South America, Island Press), but I had to buy that copy. It's a good reference to have on hand.

In addition, I have translated quite a few books for the Pan American Health Organization, my alma mater,which were considered works for hire and I never received credit. I often had to beg for my copies. I do enjoy keeping them, and in fact I have a whole shelf-ful.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you buy the books you've translated?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »