Poll: Would you ever consider becoming a project manager?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 21, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you ever consider becoming a project manager?".

This poll was originally submitted by Umang Dholabhai. View the poll results »

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:30
German to Greek
+ ...
No. Jul 21, 2014

No. I would probably have more stress, earn much less and (to keep the rhyme) make a mess.
Seriously, I am just not born to be a manager of any kind.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 21, 2014

If being head of a translation service counts, then I was a PM, but one of the reasons I quit and went freelance was to get away from the hassle. Never once since then (22 years ago) have I considered becoming a PM.

The worst part is taking responsibility for someone else's work. Since translators all translate differently, it's hard to set standards.

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:30
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
Never say never Jul 21, 2014

But, for now, I don't even think of it as a possibility. I like translating and I'm happy with it now, but who knows what will happen in the future.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:30
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Other Jul 21, 2014

I have been a PM in other domains unrelated to translation and might eventually do it again but not in a translation agency (even if it were my own). I would find it too hard to depend on other people knowing that I could handle the job myself and have nothing to worry about.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jul 21, 2014

Thanks to all those great project managers I work with - but I haven't got what it takes myself!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 21, 2014

Not if it means working in-house somewhere, like an agency, and having to cajole, lie to or browbeat people as part of the daily grind.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Jul 21, 2014

During most of my years as an in-house translator I was a PM (among other duties) and did enjoy it...at that time.

Presently, becoming a PM is just about the last thing on my (translator's) mind. I am happy, though, with "my" project managers who keep sending me work.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 21, 2014

I have been both for some time now. I work mainly as a translator but I’m also a project manager at a small scale. Bureau Portugais de Traduction (BPT in short) is a small co-op of freelancers consisting of yours truly + 4 other Portuguese translators. As I’m the only one working full-time (all the other members have other professions), I’m the one in charge of managing all projects. It’s no big deal as (fortunately) we all think alike and act alike.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jul 21, 2014

No way unless perhaps after returning to legal practice and no longer translating, then maybe I could be talked into managing translations on the firm's side.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jul 21, 2014

Never really thought about it, but probably not

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:30
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Fairly owerwhelming "No" response Jul 21, 2014

Well over 60% of us saying "No" out of nearly 800 respondents.

I started off my working life as a secretary (monolingual even though the course I did was bilingual, but it was the start of another economic recession most of you here wouldn't remember, back in the 70s). I would spend my days organising my boss's life: making telephone calls, sending memos, organising and attending progress meetings, filing papers, monitoring and solving problems, drawing up schedules, keeping diarie
... See more
Well over 60% of us saying "No" out of nearly 800 respondents.

I started off my working life as a secretary (monolingual even though the course I did was bilingual, but it was the start of another economic recession most of you here wouldn't remember, back in the 70s). I would spend my days organising my boss's life: making telephone calls, sending memos, organising and attending progress meetings, filing papers, monitoring and solving problems, drawing up schedules, keeping diaries...

A PM's duties sound much too similar for me to want to end my working life that way. It would be so very sad.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:30
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
No way Jul 21, 2014

I'm too stressed to work as a PM. I'd get crazy on the first late deliver from a translator/proofreader.

I'm very happy as a translator. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you ever consider becoming a project manager?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »