Poll: Do you acknowledge receipt of your clients' payments?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 6, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you acknowledge receipt of your clients' payments?".

View the poll results »

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:41
Danish to English
+ ...
It depends Jul 6, 2014

Only if payment has been delayed due to a technical hitch, e.g. the client misspelling my email address when forwarding payment via PayPal.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not usually Jul 6, 2014

With two exceptions:

1. When they pay earlier than the agreed payment terms.
2. If I happen to receive that same day an email from the client I might say something like “By the way, thanks for the payment”…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends Jul 6, 2014

Not usually.I might to do so occasionally for different reasons, but it isn't common practice.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends Jul 6, 2014

It depends of how "personal" the relationship with the client is.

And when I receive an email from the client to inform me about the payment, in addition to the payment itself, I always reply it with a confirmation

But sometimes, specially with big clients with complex structure, which use impersonal web-based systems to manage workflow etc., I do not. Actually, I couldn't even know who write to.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 6, 2014

I mostly work with small direct clients and I consider it polite to acknowledge receipt of payment, even if it is just a one-line email. Also, I mostly do long-term projects, and so thanking someone every couple of months or so is not a particularly onerous task. As a child I was taught to say 'thank you' whenever someone gave me something, and thanking customers for payment, I believe, is just an extension of the same thing.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
not generally Jul 6, 2014

Mostly, if there has been a delay and I've asked the PM to check into it for me, then I let the PM know when payment arrives.

Otherwise,one client pays via paypal, so they can always check that payment has come through.
Another is a huge agency, and their payment emails are automatically generated.
So the PMs I work with have literally nothing to do with the payments.

Andrea Munhoz
Andrea Munhoz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It depends Jul 6, 2014

If I am asked to.

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:41
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, always Jul 6, 2014

I think of it as common courtesy =)

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, always, even if thy don't ask for it Jul 6, 2014

More than courtesy, this is professional good faith.
Why would you not let the person know you have received your money? If you don't receive it or if something goes wrong with the deposit, you will inform them immediately, won't you?

OK... if the paymeny is made by PayPal or other similar means, then it's just courtesy, as the payer will receive a note from the relevant service provider. In these cases, we are the ones who issue the invoice, and the client only clicks on the
... See more
More than courtesy, this is professional good faith.
Why would you not let the person know you have received your money? If you don't receive it or if something goes wrong with the deposit, you will inform them immediately, won't you?

OK... if the paymeny is made by PayPal or other similar means, then it's just courtesy, as the payer will receive a note from the relevant service provider. In these cases, we are the ones who issue the invoice, and the client only clicks on the "pay" link.

But other than that, it's not courtesy. It's a professional almost-obligation, and it will surely make the outsourcer feel more comfortable and confident about you, leading to a better likeliness to get new jobs from it as compared to other translators who do not do the same and do not, therefore, show the same commitment and consideration.

[Edited at 2014-07-06 21:27 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Always unless... Jul 6, 2014

Luiz Barucke wrote:
sometimes, specially with big clients with complex structure, which use impersonal web-based systems to manage workflow etc., I do not. Actually, I couldn't even know who write to.

My case too - I don't have many clients of that type but when I do invoice an enormous company then I just accept the money. It's the large, faceless organisations that's paying, not a person.

But whenever I have a personal relationship with the client, I try to always remember to thank them. Perhaps that's why I feel a little peeved if my work seems to fall into a black hole. I always ask for confirmation of receipt; if I don't get it then I remind them until I do get it. It's part of my sign-off procedure, part of my QA, and therefore essential, IMHO. But it's also impolite not to acknowledge receipt of someone's work, I reckon.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
German to English
+ ...
It depends, due to client feedback Jul 6, 2014

I used to issue a receipt for every payment, until a number of clients said "For heavens sake - stop with the receipts - it's more paperwork for us." A lot of companies can see when the payment has gone through. Some end clients want a receipt, and some don't.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not usually Jul 7, 2014

Mainly if there has been discussion about a delay, or when it's a private individual. But it's a nice practice and I might consider adopting it, at least for some clients.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Same here Jul 7, 2014

Luiz Barucke wrote:
Actually, I couldn't even know who write to.

I would drive the poor PM insane.

Exceptions are when a large check was send by mail, or at the very beginning of a collaboration, when clients are interested to know how long it takes a check to arrive by mail.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you acknowledge receipt of your clients' payments?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »