Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you measure and keep track of your monthly income?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
I know my monthly earnings to the penny at any one time Jul 5, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

My favorite part of the job.

Me too, probably!

I have a number of spreadsheets I've developed - one for each month with a separate sheet for each client, with each job listed with project number, language combination, deadline and remuneration, as well as whether I've invoiced yet for it yet or received the PO or whatever. I then have another sheet with my total for all clients for the month, with a few formulas to take different currencies into account. I also know what percentage of my income for the month has been for which language combination and for translation or proofreading. It's great knowing how much I've made for the month so far, as it means I know whether I have earnt enough to be able to take a day off or two or whether I need to work harder in order to meet my target for the month.

I then have another spreadsheet with all the money I've received for the tax year and how much tax I owe so far (with separate breakdowns for income tax, national insurance and student loan repayments), so I can make sure I have enough set aside to pay my tax bill at the end of the year.

It stresses me out inordinately that other people don't do this.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 14:18
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Exactly! Jul 6, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

Of course I DO keep track of my earnings and expenses… How can one function without?

My thoughts exactly when I read the question...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 6, 2014

I have to declare my earnings quarterly for VAT and annually for Income tax, so that's when I find out how much I've earned in any given month. Otherwise, I don't usually need to look or gnaw away at it. Too busy actually working.

Which reminds me, I should do up some bills this week... ho hum.

[Edited at 2014-07-06 07:44 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you measure and keep track of your monthly income?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »