Poll: Have you ever cancelled a vacation because of work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 3, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever cancelled a vacation because of work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Carla Lopes. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:07
Member (2006)
German to English
No, never Jul 3, 2014

Holiday, what is that?

If I am busy and we are going away for a couple of weeks, the work goes with me and I organise myself around "things".

It is sometimes annoying, but it works and I am happy.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
German to English
+ ...
No Jul 3, 2014

I've occasionally cancelled something like a lunch out or rejigged the timings for a couple of days away, but never cancelled. Holiday time is too precious.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never had to cancel! Jul 3, 2014

1. I always inform all my clients well in advance;
2. I never take more than one week of vacation each time;
3. I always take my notebook with me to check emails and to work if need be...

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Yes Jul 3, 2014

When I had just started up as a translator, after getting my MA, I was so excited about getting some work that I cancelled Christmas that year.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Voted no, but maybe yes! Jul 3, 2014

While I regularly work on the ferry to and from the UK, where there is peace and quiet in the cabin, no Internet worth mentioning and not a lot else to do, I deliver the job on arrival and do not work while on holiday. You have to remember to LIVE once you have earned your living!

What is getting to be a bad habit is cancelling the much-needed spring breaks here in Denmark. There is a run of them, and most people work over one or two. Working over them all without taking time off at
... See more
While I regularly work on the ferry to and from the UK, where there is peace and quiet in the cabin, no Internet worth mentioning and not a lot else to do, I deliver the job on arrival and do not work while on holiday. You have to remember to LIVE once you have earned your living!

What is getting to be a bad habit is cancelling the much-needed spring breaks here in Denmark. There is a run of them, and most people work over one or two. Working over them all without taking time off at another stage is a very bad idea - you really do risk getting SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

Both last year and this I have been extra busy and have discovered to my consternation that it is July, not May, and if I want to enjoy the summer, it's not going to wait!

[Edited at 2014-07-03 19:35 GMT]
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Jul 3, 2014

I don't take a lot of vacation, but when I do I am not going to cancel it.

I might take the laptop along though, and do small jobs, if necessary.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a chance Jul 3, 2014

I do two sorts of travelling. One is going to the Canaries when it's miserable weather here in the UK, setting up shop there and it's business as usual except I can jump in the pool, go for a bike ride in my lunchbreak, go for a stroll, go to the beach in the early evening and so on.
The other sort is a "vacation proper", once a year, when I give my clients notice and go culture-vulturing - and I wouldn't in my wildest dreams cancel one of those for work.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:07
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Unfortunately, yes Jul 3, 2014

I had to stay at home to finish a project because of hardware problems - the hard disk failed a few days before a big delivery - while the family went to Hawaii and Guam.
They had a great time - apparently. I still feel sorry for myself, even now. Woe is me!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
No Jul 3, 2014

Holidays are rare and precious family time and cancelling them would mean depriving everyone else as well as myself. Therefore I have to plan my workload very carefully to make sure this doesn't happen. Once it is booked, I don't change it.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mini Vacations Jul 3, 2014

I haven't taken a real vacation since my days of working in-house (both were spent visiting my then future wife in Argentina). These days I try to take a day or two off every week or so, just so I don't go crazy. Those lofty dreams vanish the second someone offers me a juicy project.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm confused Jul 3, 2014

In the spirit of Bill Clinton, that will depend on your definition of “cancel,” “vacation” and, of course, “work.”

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
not cancelled... but Jul 3, 2014

a couple of times I took my laptop with me and worked part time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever cancelled a vacation because of work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »