Poll: On the first day of your average work week, how well can you determine your workload for that week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 2, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On the first day of your average work week, how well can you determine your workload for that week?".

This poll was originally submitted by anne wagner-findeisen. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:46
German to English
+ ...
Other Jul 2, 2014

It varies hugely. Sometimes I'm booked up for two weeks, sometimes I have nothing to do!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:46
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jul 2, 2014

Same as Mary, it all depends....

Fortunately I do always have work going on.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 2, 2014

Unpredictability is the name of the game: let’s say that some days (or weeks) are quite predictable and filled with plenty of work while other days you don’t work and that’s OK!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a roller coaster ride Jul 2, 2014

Clients scattered all over the world, and who certainly have no clue about the existence of each other seem to be placed in cahoots by some overarching power to strike me all at once from time to time. Otherwise I guess they are doing the same to someone else, so they are busy enough to leave me alone for a while.

Of course, each of them - especially translation agencies - think they are my only client, possibly because of my top notch customer service (I translated too many CS cour
... See more
Clients scattered all over the world, and who certainly have no clue about the existence of each other seem to be placed in cahoots by some overarching power to strike me all at once from time to time. Otherwise I guess they are doing the same to someone else, so they are busy enough to leave me alone for a while.

Of course, each of them - especially translation agencies - think they are my only client, possibly because of my top notch customer service (I translated too many CS courses, got the skills ingrained by osmosis). So upon contacting me, they get the impression that I was merely watching some boring movie on TV, just waiting for their request and nothing else.

So my "jobs under way" board population can vary between 0 and usually 7 at most in a matter of hours, like the speed on a roller coaster can suddenly vary, going from almost idling on a flat section to a hair-rising drop in a split second.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Somewhat well Jul 2, 2014

Work seems to be quite steady these days, and sometimes I have to decline jobs to get time for other things.

But I have a hard time to turn down regular clients, even when I know it will be very stressful to meet all deadlines.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Very well Jul 2, 2014

Because I am always working - taking a day or half a day off here and there - so I know what's going on in terms of workload. The only thing that is unpredictable is the content (read 'difficulty') of each job/project not volume or workload. Some jobs may appear simple whereas, in fact, they are more complex than originally anticipated for a variety of reasons.

You never know what's percolating in the pot before you take the lid off and take a sip!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The concept of a work week doesn't really apply Jul 2, 2014

I try to take the equivalent of two days off per week, but when they happen varies depending on workload and other commitments.

Usually, I have short, one- to three-day projects and am usually booked about three or four days out. Occasionally a longer project comes in (a corporate annual report, a movie script, a book, etc.), and then I have a better idea of what the next week or so will look like.

[Edited at 2014-07-02 12:44 GMT]

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:46
Turkish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 2, 2014

Not at all. I might have nothing on Monday, then on Tuesday morning I could get a huge assignment.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Jul 2, 2014

Jobs come in and go out on a daily basis - in addition to the bigger, steady projects that are long-term, continuous, recurring or just planned well in advance.
I quite like it, like that too. I don't need or want to plan every last detail and minute of my working schedule, I like having flexibility.

[Edited at 2014-07-02 12:25 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 2, 2014

I do so recognise the clients being in cahoots phenomenon! At the moment all I know is that I am going to be busy, and will have to say NO, sorry, quite firmly if I want time off at the weekend!

Just now at least half my colleagues seem to be on holiday and/or watching football, while clients are trying to get everything translated in advance before the holiday season starts in earnest.

I have days when there is not much in the in-tray, but there have been very few of t
... See more
I do so recognise the clients being in cahoots phenomenon! At the moment all I know is that I am going to be busy, and will have to say NO, sorry, quite firmly if I want time off at the weekend!

Just now at least half my colleagues seem to be on holiday and/or watching football, while clients are trying to get everything translated in advance before the holiday season starts in earnest.

I have days when there is not much in the in-tray, but there have been very few of those in the last couple of months.

Now there are constant mails asking how soon I can manage to deliver...?' or 'Is there any chance you can fit in a page for tomorrow?'

Any English natives with too much time on their hands could try learning Danish...
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It should have been "Others" Jul 2, 2014

I voted for "not very well", but that's - most of the time - not true. Jobs can come in (or not) anytime of the day or night. Sometimes there's almost too much work, at other times hardly any. Being a freelance translator sometimes reminds of a rollercoaster.

The only time I can predict my workload for the week ahead is when I am fully booked for the entire week without even a moment to take a "breather"....
See more
I voted for "not very well", but that's - most of the time - not true. Jobs can come in (or not) anytime of the day or night. Sometimes there's almost too much work, at other times hardly any. Being a freelance translator sometimes reminds of a rollercoaster.

The only time I can predict my workload for the week ahead is when I am fully booked for the entire week without even a moment to take a "breather".

[Edited at 2014-07-03 08:29 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Somewhat well Jul 3, 2014

I mostly do large jobs, so I set myself daily quotas until the job is finished. The quotas are high enough to get the job done but no higher than they have to be. That leaves me room to accept small jobs in between. I refuse to let myself be talked into taking more than I can comfortably handle.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Fairly well Jul 3, 2014

Thanks to one particular agency client, I often have work booked for the beginning of the week by the end of the previous week. And come Monday, I start getting offers for Tuesday and Wednesday, and so on. I rarely have nothing at all.... hmm, maybe this is a sign my rates are too low?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On the first day of your average work week, how well can you determine your workload for that week?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »