Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you outsource work to other translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Outsourcing is quite alright Jul 1, 2014

Many of the respondents' reactions seem to betray a common sentiment: that outsourcing a job is downright unethical.

The question was never Do you outsource work to other translators without telling your client?

For certain jobs, some clients specifically ask if a translator has his/her own team (other translators, editors, proofreaders).

Now, some of us may be guilty of having passed the job to a trusted colleague because of time constraints. I did
... See more
Many of the respondents' reactions seem to betray a common sentiment: that outsourcing a job is downright unethical.

The question was never Do you outsource work to other translators without telling your client?

For certain jobs, some clients specifically ask if a translator has his/her own team (other translators, editors, proofreaders).

Now, some of us may be guilty of having passed the job to a trusted colleague because of time constraints. I did that once, got burned and lost a client. But if I'm the recipient of such a request from a colleague, who am I to ask him/her Does your client know?, right?
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few times over a decade ago Jul 2, 2014

gad wrote:
I have not done so in a while and have no plans to do so again. Another translator will expect full pay and I will have to review the work. Plus, like someone mentioned, work is given to me in good faith, and that does not necessarily give me permission to assign it to someone else.

I don't know what I was thinking. I kept a small percentage to cover the cost of my review. My colleague got upset because she didn't get full pay, and she was even more upset when I told her she had skipped chunks of text in several places. She complained to my client that I had disrespected her work, and I lost one of the best clients I ever had. Never again!

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:03
French to English
You might learn something Jul 2, 2014

I too assume we are talking about outsourcing in an ethical sense (i.e. the client knows about it), rather than passing off someone else's work as your own.

I have outsourced a couple of times (and, as it happens, am always looking for other French to English translators [in the eurozone only] to whom I could turn when the need arises).

As an outsourcer, you have a duty to recruit competant translators, so complaining about shoddy work you could have done better yours
... See more
I too assume we are talking about outsourcing in an ethical sense (i.e. the client knows about it), rather than passing off someone else's work as your own.

I have outsourced a couple of times (and, as it happens, am always looking for other French to English translators [in the eurozone only] to whom I could turn when the need arises).

As an outsourcer, you have a duty to recruit competant translators, so complaining about shoddy work you could have done better yourself just means you did not do your job as an outsourcer properly. Assuming you find some good translators (there are plenty to be found), outsourcing can be a way of learning from others. Reviewing a well-turned phrase produced by someone else is a way of honing one's own translation skills.

It can be a positive experience!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:03
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
You might learn something 2 Jul 2, 2014

David Hayes wrote:

... As an outsourcer, you have a duty to recruit competant translators....

Reviewing a well-turned phrase produced by someone else is a way of honing one's own translation skills.

It can be a positive experience!

Yes, I quite agree, too, except that the concept of 'duty' as an outsourcer has nothing to do with who you recruit or 'turn'. IMHO

Yours very competently

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you outsource work to other translators?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »