Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have your translations proofread by another person before delivery?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sod's law in action Jun 30, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Proofreading was my foot in the door to may new customers. Not anymore.

Can't think why

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 30, 2014

I occasionally help my wife with her EN>ES translations, and she always reviews everything. I just started working with an editor/proofreader for my ES>EN translations. Honestly, reviewing my own translations has always been difficult for me. I miss the stupid stuff, or the text sounds right to me, but not to someone else. Hopefully this will help me overcome that weakness.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Freelancer at home vs. proofreading Jul 6, 2014

There are two issues about this activity:

1) Many of us work at home, without another person qualified to proofread the job in time to deliver before the deadline. But any good translator will proofread his/her own work carefully before delivery.

2) A prooforeader will always make changes according to his/her standards and preferences, many of which the translator will likely disagree with and feel uncomfortable. If a document is sent to 10 proofreaders in a row, all of
... See more
There are two issues about this activity:

1) Many of us work at home, without another person qualified to proofread the job in time to deliver before the deadline. But any good translator will proofread his/her own work carefully before delivery.

2) A prooforeader will always make changes according to his/her standards and preferences, many of which the translator will likely disagree with and feel uncomfortable. If a document is sent to 10 proofreaders in a row, all of them will probably make the same number of changes. And many times these changes are like replacing "12" with "a dozen", "hi" with "hello" and the like, just to show they're actually doing something. After a certain level of maturity and competence is achieved, a third party proofreader ends up being undesirable (as long as you do proofread your own job carefully, as mentioned above.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have your translations proofread by another person before delivery?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »