Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you had to decide, which project would you choose: an interesting one, or one that pays well?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:17
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Jun 21, 2014

To me, "interesting" equals "challenging". Challenging texts must be paid accordingly.

Also, "interesting" means to me that I want learn more about the topic. Which in return means lots of research and reading, which I won't do at lower pay.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 21, 2014

It would depend on my circumstances at the particular juncture in time. If I needed the money, I'd do the one that pays well. Fortunately, my best-paying customer usually sends me very interesting jobs. On the other hand, if my bank account was in good shape and the subject was really dear to my heart and I wanted to learn more about it, I would take the interesting job without a question. Once when I was studying botany I offered my services to a professional journal in the field for a steeply ... See more
It would depend on my circumstances at the particular juncture in time. If I needed the money, I'd do the one that pays well. Fortunately, my best-paying customer usually sends me very interesting jobs. On the other hand, if my bank account was in good shape and the subject was really dear to my heart and I wanted to learn more about it, I would take the interesting job without a question. Once when I was studying botany I offered my services to a professional journal in the field for a steeply reduced rate. I also did a translation at a reduced rate for coffee growers competing for an award in sustainable farming.Collapse

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:17
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
One that pays well Jun 22, 2014

What else could I answer as a commercial translator?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Cross my palm with silver Jun 22, 2014

...and you've got my interest.

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Pay me enough, and I'll find anything interesting

@Charlie
Good point.

However, I don't accept stuff outside my 'comfort zone'. As a technical translator I'm amazed at the number of customers/clients who assume I can handle almost everything. Find me an engineer who can do that and I'll by you a pint.

In the gold 'ol days when I outsourced lots of work, more frequently than not the translators who claimed to do almost anything and everything (read 'irresponsible translators') were the least capable. I had to conduct mop-up operations on countless occasions which affects everyone involved and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, at best.

It is absolutely foolish to accept everything just because it's interesting or well-remunerated. You have to draw a sensible line somewhere. Biting off more than you can chew causes more problems than you think. ;-((

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
@Julian: I sooo agree Jun 22, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It is absolutely foolish to accept everything just because it's interesting or well-remunerated. You have to draw a sensible line somewhere. Biting off more than you can chew causes more problems than you think. ;-((

I am still not sure, how "interesting" is supposed to be defined. To me, "challenging" means highly sophisticated text in my B-to-B fields that will have a high impact on the readership and that comes with a lot of responsibility (e.g., finding the right words in a CEO's announcement, that thousands of employees will be laid off by the end of the year or that the company will be sold.)

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Quite agree 2 Jun 22, 2014

Nicole Schnell wrote:

... highly sophisticated text in my B-to-B fields that will have a high impact on the readership and that comes with a lot of responsibility (e.g., finding the right words in a CEO's announcement, that thousands of employees will be laid off by the end of the year or that the company will be sold.)

Why not just use Donald Trump's famous one-liner?

On a more serious note, though, I have just started translating an annual report for a new customer. Believe it or not, the first part of the translation is the MD&A. (I'm also getting paid to critique the English in the previous year's MD&A. Nothing like a bit of value-added translation. )
This is going to be difficult when I get the CEO's message to the shareholders since the company registered a big increase in income but ended the year in the red. Should be interesting how they word that. Challenging, indeed!

BTW, this project is interesting as well as reasonably well-paid. But it's also proportionately challenging - you really have to be alert and on your toes. That's part of the territory when rates get higher - customers expect more from you.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:17
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Agree Jun 22, 2014

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I would be inclined to choose the more interesting project but it also depends on other factors: is this a direct client or outsourcer, old client or new client, what is the deadline, etc.

It's the same here, Tina. There is more to it than a simple "black and white" decision.

I always prefer interesting/challenging projects, which usually pay quite well, too, since they require more than "just" a "regular" translation. But if there's some bills other than the usual ones to be paid, I'd also accept a boring job to get these bills out of the way.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you had to decide, which project would you choose: an interesting one, or one that pays well?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »