Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you alter your schedule to be available to clients who work in other time zones?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 17, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you alter your schedule to be available to clients who work in other time zones?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lucia Moreno Velo. View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:05
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 17, 2014

I prefer not to, but I have done so in the past.

raptisi
raptisi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Depends Jun 17, 2014

If you live in, for instance, the UK, and your client is in the USA, then there is no problem. By the time the client sends you the assignment you will be able to start working on it, while, on the other side of the Atlantic, they are asleep.
The problem arises when one is in the UK and the client is more than 6 time zones ahead (China, Australia). Even in this case, there should not be many adjustment issues, unless for super-urgent dispatches. These super-urgent dispatches can be indeed
... See more
If you live in, for instance, the UK, and your client is in the USA, then there is no problem. By the time the client sends you the assignment you will be able to start working on it, while, on the other side of the Atlantic, they are asleep.
The problem arises when one is in the UK and the client is more than 6 time zones ahead (China, Australia). Even in this case, there should not be many adjustment issues, unless for super-urgent dispatches. These super-urgent dispatches can be indeed stressful, no matter where one is located.
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:05
Czech to French
+ ...
Alter is too big a word, Jun 17, 2014

I leave my computer on in the evening and check it from time to time, in case there are any messages from my US clients. But I will do the actual work the next day, in my normal working hours.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:05
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Jun 17, 2014

Since 99% of my customers are based here.

But, then, flexibility is a major part - attraction(?) - of this non 9-5 profession. So, we've all opted for 'irregular' working hours, anyway. Right?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adapt, yes; alter, mmm, no Jun 17, 2014

I have clients two and three hours behind me. I don't get up any earlier for them.

In fact, I have asked a client on the same time zone to send me requests after 1 p.m. to ensure a quicker response, since I'm not much of a morning person.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 17, 2014

I don’t alter my work schedule to be available to clients who are in other time zones but I have quite often modified my working hours in order to deliver on time (early in the morning if I couldn’t deliver the day before). Anyway, as I work at home, my schedule is extremely flexible, I change it as I please, and I even use weekends to makeup hours “lost” during the week.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Jun 17, 2014

because I have long hours anyway

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Jun 17, 2014

As a freelancer I can work whenever there is work at hand. This could be any time of the day or, if need be, at night. Being a night owl anyway, I have no problems working at night, especially since I am not always available during "normal" office hours several times a week. Most of my clients live in different time zones, some ahead, other behind my own, so it's more a matter of communication than one of schedule adjustments.... See more
As a freelancer I can work whenever there is work at hand. This could be any time of the day or, if need be, at night. Being a night owl anyway, I have no problems working at night, especially since I am not always available during "normal" office hours several times a week. Most of my clients live in different time zones, some ahead, other behind my own, so it's more a matter of communication than one of schedule adjustments..Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Only when outside CET Jun 17, 2014

I only adjust my working hours when I am actually outside my normal time zone - CET.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not consciously ... Jun 17, 2014

I am in Southern Europe.
I work mornings and evenings and tend to have afternoons off - just answering emails
My clients are mainly in Europe, the Uk and the US, so the ways I have my organised my schedule to fit around my family life means, luckily, that I am available for the working times of most of my clients.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
not to any great degree Jun 17, 2014

I have on occasion stayed up a bit later to finish an assignment for an asian deadline, which was later the same evening (as it's 12 hours ahead of me in China). I haven't done that too often.
Most of the overseas clients are on CET.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Constantly Jun 17, 2014

My clients are spread over six time zones, so when I'm doing one- to two-day projects, my schedule varies pretty wildly. For longer projects, I'm on a more normal schedule.

Working evenings has its advantages: there are no lines for equipment at the gym during the day.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:05
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
NO Jun 17, 2014

I'm awake when other sleep and viceversa, because this is a huge planet. If I don't respect my rest time, clients won't do it neither

I go to bed at midnight and wakeup at 7 hrs.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Jun 17, 2014

I don't adjust my working hours but when delivering assignments to a different time zone I often have to send it anywhere from 2-12 hours before the deadline. Some clients even ask for same-day delivery which for me would mean within the hour. It is sometimes very hard to get them to understand that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you alter your schedule to be available to clients who work in other time zones?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »