Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you find yourself mentally translating everything you hear/read in your source language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:11
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, since my childhood too... Jun 15, 2014

Luciana Trevisi wrote:

... since I was a child and started to learn English. It was an "incurable disease" before becoming an "occupational disease".

As Luciana said, since my childhood too and by the time when I started to learn English, I was fully occupied by an incurable habit of translating all what my eyes can fall upon of shops'
... See more
Luciana Trevisi wrote:

... since I was a child and started to learn English. It was an "incurable disease" before becoming an "occupational disease".

As Luciana said, since my childhood too and by the time when I started to learn English, I was fully occupied by an incurable habit of translating all what my eyes can fall upon of shops' titles & names whenever I went down the streets.

Definitely, It's an incurable professional disease
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jun 15, 2014

I 'live' in my source language, and when not at work translating, I keep the languages apart.

I do occasionally go and look up a word in my dictionaries to find out precisely what it means - if I think someone is misusing it, or my husband and I agree it is not the appropriate word in the context. Buzzwords, expressions which have changed meanings over the generations... or good, old-fashioned words we have not heard for many years!

Our son went through a phase when he
... See more
I 'live' in my source language, and when not at work translating, I keep the languages apart.

I do occasionally go and look up a word in my dictionaries to find out precisely what it means - if I think someone is misusing it, or my husband and I agree it is not the appropriate word in the context. Buzzwords, expressions which have changed meanings over the generations... or good, old-fashioned words we have not heard for many years!

Our son went through a phase when he translated English TV-programmes for his Danish friends who could not read the subtitles so fluently - he started reading before he started school, and understood the English anyway! This was quite an achievement, as most children's programmes were dubbed rather than subtitled.

I have once or twice spoken Danish to English children, to everyone's amusement. Unconsciously I knew most adults spoke English, but felt it unreasonable to expect children to understand before they had a chance to learn it at school!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
No Jun 15, 2014

French is my source language and I've been living in France since 1991. How would I have time to sleep, eat, drink and be merry if I thought everything through with permanent mental subtitles?

[Edited at 2014-06-15 15:35 GMT]

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 11:11
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Ditto Jun 15, 2014

Noura Tawil wrote:

Like Leon, when I hear a dubbed documentary, my mind plays "guess the source" game, and "it" translates the dubbing back to English!

The worse translations are those that allow me to easily guess the source

It's always Criminal Minds when I'm trotting on the treadmill at the gym. Extremely annoying!

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Nicely put! Jun 15, 2014

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

French is my source language and I've been living in France since 1991. How would I have time to sleep, eat, drink and be merry if I thought everything through with permanent mental subtitles?

I do have nasty moments when I fall into a kind of no-man's-land between the two languages, nearly always when speaking to another fluent user of both, but that's when I'm speaking. What I hear in French goes straight in as it comes and takes some - sometimes quite laborious - processing to become English if the need arises, if I'm not already in "translator mode".

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jun 16, 2014

It's food for the brain

My brain processes in Spanish. If I watch an Italian film, I select French subtitles; if I watch an English movie I choose Italian subtitles.

I like to find some popular sayings or very local expressions translated into other languages. Then, I try to save them in my mind.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Pencil and paper Jun 16, 2014

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I like to find some popular sayings or very local expressions translated into other languages. Then, I try to save them in my mind.

Always keep a pencil and notepad handy.

You never know when a nice translation for a source-language idiom is going to pop into your head!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:11
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice suggestion Jun 18, 2014

Giles Watson wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Always keep a pencil and notepad handy.

You never know when a nice translation for a source-language idiom is going to pop into your head!

Exactly! I loved that about pencil, a tool that, with the aid of the paper, is faster than typing in the mobile phone

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:11
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A fair amount of the time Jun 19, 2014

I don't usually notice I'm doing it till I hit a term or turn of phrase that's tricky to translate.

Besides spoken language, I also often mentally translate signs and posters. On the subway trains here in New York, there are often posters with poetry on them. I sometimes find myself trying to translate them into Spanish.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find yourself mentally translating everything you hear/read in your source language?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »