Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you encourage your children to become translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 01:11
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Elizabeth Jun 14, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Noura Tawil wrote:

Not really. But it will be totally up to them.
I believe that our profession comes with a lot of stress and a bundle of health issues, and my role will be to put the whole picture in front of them, if they didn't already know it from living with me!
It was the ideal job for me due to certain reasons and circumstances, so I'm happy with it for that. I hope that they will be in a better position to have plenty of good choices.

What are the health issues, if you don't mind my asking? Are they different to those of any other desk-based profession?

Exactly. I wouldn't encourage them to work in a desk-based profession either

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:11
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Absolutely no! Jun 14, 2014

Like Charlie I would discourage everyone, and I actually do, not only my children. Rates have dropped dramatically the last 15-20 years and it gets more and more difficult for young people, if not impossible, to make a living out of this profession. There are too much translators nowadays that are working for peanuts and and only very few of the other ones will succeed.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:11
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My "child" Jun 14, 2014

My "child" has been a full-time translator for years and my parents were translators too. Encouraged or not, it just "happened" to us all.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 14, 2014

If nothing else, it's a skill that they could use should they ever need a backup. My parents taught me the same way. My mother was an interpreter and my father a carpenter, you could probably guess that I stuck with languages, but we start construction on our new home in a few weeks.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
In my case, no Jun 14, 2014

...because I have no children. I doubt my cat Garabato would want to even learn my mother tongue.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:11
French to English
. Jun 14, 2014

Noura Tawil wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Noura Tawil wrote:

Not really. But it will be totally up to them.
I believe that our profession comes with a lot of stress and a bundle of health issues, and my role will be to put the whole picture in front of them, if they didn't already know it from living with me!
It was the ideal job for me due to certain reasons and circumstances, so I'm happy with it for that. I hope that they will be in a better position to have plenty of good choices.

What are the health issues, if you don't mind my asking? Are they different to those of any other desk-based profession?

Exactly. I wouldn't encourage them to work in a desk-based profession either

Ah, I see. I suppose a job that involves moving around would be healthier - traffic warden, fitness instructor, that kind of thing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you encourage your children to become translators?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »