Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer translating or interpreting?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both Jun 10, 2014

I prefer interpreting because it's faster, but I hate travelling and love working from home with my food and music. I haven't really looked into interpreting via Skype, but I used to interpret in a call center. That's how I started translating

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:41
French to English
Different skills Jun 11, 2014

As someone who does both, then I agree entirely that different skills are required. Maybe it's the Jeckyl and Hyde in me; I enojy both. On the one hand, I love the luxury of really getting down to the nitty gritty of the right term, phrase or form of words in a text. I have learnt soooooooo much from translating, from a technical, linguistic and human point of view. On the other hand, the intense concentration required when interpreting gives me a real buzz. I like being with people, I ne... See more
As someone who does both, then I agree entirely that different skills are required. Maybe it's the Jeckyl and Hyde in me; I enojy both. On the one hand, I love the luxury of really getting down to the nitty gritty of the right term, phrase or form of words in a text. I have learnt soooooooo much from translating, from a technical, linguistic and human point of view. On the other hand, the intense concentration required when interpreting gives me a real buzz. I like being with people, I need time alone; I couldn't survive without reading, yet I love the outdoors. Maybe I'm just a Jacqueline of all trades. I started out in law and languages have moved through biology and cognitive neuroscience and am now pulling all the threads together for my career change into clinical neuropsychology. Tons of translators have done and are doing tons of things apart from translating so I reckon we all have more than one skill which we tend to put to good use in translating and/or interpreting.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer translating or interpreting?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »