Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you offer discounts for repetitions?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 9, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you offer discounts for repetitions?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Depends Jun 9, 2014

This poll seems very familiar

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 9, 2014

I may grant discounts if I feel like it, for various reasons, often unsolicited. I'm not usually willing to haggle about my rates though.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Discounts Jun 9, 2014

neilmac wrote:

I may grant discounts if I feel like it, for various reasons, often unsolicited. I'm not usually willing to haggle about my rates though.

Yes, this is my procedure as well.

Could it be that this poll had shown up before?

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jun 9, 2014

In the technical field, this is normal and understanding.

[Edited at 2014-06-09 20:07 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
No, but Jun 9, 2014

For the simple reason that a volume of words is indicative of the time it takes to translate a document and the basis upon which many if not most translators invoice. Other invoicing bases will be in reference to the number of lines, whatever.

I have had clients request that I take account of repetitions to reduce the amount invoiced. When I suggest that I invoice for the time spent detecting the repetitions, or that the client points out which sections were repeated, then they tend
... See more
For the simple reason that a volume of words is indicative of the time it takes to translate a document and the basis upon which many if not most translators invoice. Other invoicing bases will be in reference to the number of lines, whatever.

I have had clients request that I take account of repetitions to reduce the amount invoiced. When I suggest that I invoice for the time spent detecting the repetitions, or that the client points out which sections were repeated, then they tend to drop the issue.

Here's the "but": obviously, if a document contains large sections which have been copied and pasted, that's a different matter. However, I will still ask the client to indicate the sections concerned and authorise me to do a copy/paste of the first appearance of the text in question. I have found out that the client sometimes thinks there is copy/paste where in fact the repetitions contain certain crucial modifications.

Common sense is required, but as professionals, we do need to cover ourselves!
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 10:02
Turkish to English
+ ...
Repeat polls Jun 9, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Perhaps we should be given a discount for repeat polls?

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, when asked Jun 9, 2014

I usually agree to discounts for repeated sections when asked; questionnaires and IFUs from the same company often have large sections repeated either within the same document or between documents (included in the TM for that project). I am happy to apply a discount, as my CAT-tool will tell me whether this is an exact repeat and usually the TM has been filled with my own translations or previous good translations. I will let the client know and (try to) renegotiate if the translations in the TM... See more
I usually agree to discounts for repeated sections when asked; questionnaires and IFUs from the same company often have large sections repeated either within the same document or between documents (included in the TM for that project). I am happy to apply a discount, as my CAT-tool will tell me whether this is an exact repeat and usually the TM has been filled with my own translations or previous good translations. I will let the client know and (try to) renegotiate if the translations in the TM are of low quality, but this has only happened to me once or twice so far.Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes! Jun 9, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Perhaps we should be given a discount for repeat polls?

From memory, I would say that yes, we have certainly had this poll in the past.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Discounts for repetition Jun 9, 2014

Come again?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not CAT-style discounts Jun 9, 2014

But if a regular client sends a text that will clearly be speeded up by the number of repetitions and matches from my own TM then I may offer a discount so we both win.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Jun 9, 2014

if requested and if I can use my CAT tool.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not usually Jun 9, 2014

I prefer to bid a total price for the project, based on my per word rate. If there are a lot of repetitions, I will offer a discount on the overall price.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 9, 2014

It's a slippery slope. While a certain technical word or phrase might repeat several times in a document, a less technical word or phrase might be translated different ways depending on the context. It's part of the translator's contribution to know when the translation varies and when it doesn't. Where do you draw the line?

Also, that technical word or phrase may require some research that's not otherwise compensated for, so the repetitions help to amortize that investment of time.
... See more
It's a slippery slope. While a certain technical word or phrase might repeat several times in a document, a less technical word or phrase might be translated different ways depending on the context. It's part of the translator's contribution to know when the translation varies and when it doesn't. Where do you draw the line?

Also, that technical word or phrase may require some research that's not otherwise compensated for, so the repetitions help to amortize that investment of time. We often fail to recover the investment we make in research. It's rare that a client will recognize and cover the cost. So why should they have it both ways - get off the hook for repetitions and overlook the extra time spent on research?

If I'm translating from a PDF (as I am right now), I still have to type the word/phrase regardless of how often it's repeated.

The bottom line is that I always have to look at the word/phrase and think about it, and my judgment is a skill that I have honed and am being paid for.
Collapse

Rosa Paredes
Rosa Paredes  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't Jun 9, 2014

Well said Muriel; that is exactly my position regarding repetitions. We are not translating words.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you offer discounts for repetitions?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »