Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you offer discounts for repetitions?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jon Hedemann
Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:44
English to Danish
+ ...
Interesting business practice Jun 9, 2014

So more than 50 % of Proz.com translators intentionally overcharge their clients. Interesting business practice.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice one Jun 9, 2014

Jon Hedemann wrote:

So more than 50 % of Proz.com translators intentionally overcharge their clients. Interesting business practice.

He he. Stirring the pot there with your provoking comment, Jon, aren't you?

Alright, let's get the discussion going. Please explain how translators "intentionally overcharge their clients".

[Edited at 2014-06-09 21:53 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
@ Jon Jun 9, 2014

I assume you're basing your comment on the poll result that states that just over 50% of translators give discounts for repetitions, but only if the client asks for this.

Does this mean that the rest of us are overcharging? Or does it mean that the "yes" group are bowing to the demands of the client (which is a pretty strange concept)? Just because many freelancers believe they have to do as their "employer" demands does not in any way legitimise handing over the gains from investin
... See more
I assume you're basing your comment on the poll result that states that just over 50% of translators give discounts for repetitions, but only if the client asks for this.

Does this mean that the rest of us are overcharging? Or does it mean that the "yes" group are bowing to the demands of the client (which is a pretty strange concept)? Just because many freelancers believe they have to do as their "employer" demands does not in any way legitimise handing over the gains from investing time and money in a CAT tool to the client. That investment should enable us to be more flexible in our pricing as well as adding quality controls; it shouldn't result in our exploitation. Or maybe you think differently.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
In response to Jon Jun 10, 2014

I commonly work from pdf files. If there is a large block of identical text, then I will often call it to the attention of the project manager (since I rarely work for direct clients).

However, since I have to type each word, regardless of repetition, then I believe that I should be compensated for that time.

Also, 90% identical in a CAT tool still means that a human has to find the difference.

The only time I 'offer' discounts for repetition is if I am
... See more
I commonly work from pdf files. If there is a large block of identical text, then I will often call it to the attention of the project manager (since I rarely work for direct clients).

However, since I have to type each word, regardless of repetition, then I believe that I should be compensated for that time.

Also, 90% identical in a CAT tool still means that a human has to find the difference.

The only time I 'offer' discounts for repetition is if I am using a CAT tool and the client has requested that pricing.

None of this seems to bother my clients, so apparently they don't feel cheated.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:44
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
CAT tools and proofreading Jun 10, 2014

The advantage of repetitions depends on the cat tool used to work. Wordfast Pro for example has an useful and time-saving way to manage reps and auto propagations, so the translation job gets easier and faster.

Trados - especially 2007 - is terrible in this field and changing an already translated sentence sometimes makes you loose more time than just translating it again.

In proofreading, reps are not so relevant, considering you will have to read them all carefully an
... See more
The advantage of repetitions depends on the cat tool used to work. Wordfast Pro for example has an useful and time-saving way to manage reps and auto propagations, so the translation job gets easier and faster.

Trados - especially 2007 - is terrible in this field and changing an already translated sentence sometimes makes you loose more time than just translating it again.

In proofreading, reps are not so relevant, considering you will have to read them all carefully and change each sentence anyway.

When the client asks me to make a rate based on repetitions, I consider the text type and content as well as if I have freedom to choose the cat tool to work with before just accepting a discount.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:44
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Way! Jul 6, 2014

One of the huge issues that CAT tools have introduced into the translation world is this despicable discount based on repetitions. Any outsourcer that determines discounts for repetitions shall NOT outsource services to me.

And we, translators, should be united and say "NO" to this unacceptable practice.

And very well said, Muriel!

[Edited at 2014-07-06 14:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you offer discounts for repetitions?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »