Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has your work as a translator affected your eyesight?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Enrico Antonio Mion
Enrico Antonio Mion  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Prevention is better than cure Jun 4, 2014

It's true that I have recently started but I am always careful to have breaks. For example, I have recently set my computer to tell me every o'clock hour, this way I have an idea of the time and I take my eyes off of the screen for a few minutes. For night hours, I use f.lux, which gradually dims the screen, well it makes it yellowish and that's supposed to be good for your eyes - I don't even notice it working. I also tried TimeOut, which is an app that reminds you to have a break - it didn't w... See more
It's true that I have recently started but I am always careful to have breaks. For example, I have recently set my computer to tell me every o'clock hour, this way I have an idea of the time and I take my eyes off of the screen for a few minutes. For night hours, I use f.lux, which gradually dims the screen, well it makes it yellowish and that's supposed to be good for your eyes - I don't even notice it working. I also tried TimeOut, which is an app that reminds you to have a break - it didn't work for me as I kept on postponing the break when in the middle of a term search. I increased the font size of the text of my CAT tool, too. Even though I can easily see a 12, I set it to 15.

Voilà my tricks - for now my eyes are just fine (touch iron - as we say in Italy).

In case you're interested in those apps:
f.lux https://justgetflux.com
TimeOut https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time-out-free/id402592703?mt=12 (Mac only)
Collapse

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
definitely yes... Jun 4, 2014

About five years ago, I had my eyes tested due to headaches, and because people remarked to me that I squinted when looking at a screen. I almost fell backwards on my butt when I put on the glasses I had made. I had no idea my sight was in that condition. So I wear permanent glasses, I see pretty well without them, I can even read a few lines even if in small fonts, but after a while my eyes start to hurt.
The situation has worsened little by little over these years, so I guess staring at
... See more
About five years ago, I had my eyes tested due to headaches, and because people remarked to me that I squinted when looking at a screen. I almost fell backwards on my butt when I put on the glasses I had made. I had no idea my sight was in that condition. So I wear permanent glasses, I see pretty well without them, I can even read a few lines even if in small fonts, but after a while my eyes start to hurt.
The situation has worsened little by little over these years, so I guess staring at a screen and reading hard copy documents doesn't help much.
Collapse

Elda Veiga
Elda Veiga  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
English to Portuguese
Mine worsened... Jun 4, 2014

Alberto Montpellier wrote:

The situation has worsened little by little over these years, so I guess staring at a screen and reading hard copy documents doesn't help much.

The same thing happened to me. Additionally, when I told my ophthalmologist that I'd spend the whole day in front of a screen, she recommended me to use some artificial drops that also act as sunscreen protection (the brand I use is called Hyabak). She says screens "burn" our eyes, so I should use one drop in each eye every 6 hours. Be it as it may, my eyes feel much better now.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have no idea Jun 4, 2014

Mary Worby wrote:

How would I know? My eyesight may have deteriorated slightly in the (many!) years I have been sat in front of a computer screen, but that may be a function of age!

I wear glasses, and sometimes I feel the strain in my eyes after a long day in front of the computer, but I have no idea how much my work has affected my eyes. As Mary wrote, it may be a function of age.

Damien Poussier
Damien Poussier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:32
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Useful software Jun 4, 2014

No, you can't wear ou your eyes by looking at things, people.
The worst that can happen is headaches and dried retinas, which is of course quite bad.

To avoid this, lower the luminosity setting of your monitor, and use f.lux. It's a program that automatically changes the colour of the light displayed by your monitor. When night falls, it'll become bluer, which is more natural and will preserve your retinas. I've been using
... See more
No, you can't wear ou your eyes by looking at things, people.
The worst that can happen is headaches and dried retinas, which is of course quite bad.

To avoid this, lower the luminosity setting of your monitor, and use f.lux. It's a program that automatically changes the colour of the light displayed by your monitor. When night falls, it'll become bluer, which is more natural and will preserve your retinas. I've been using it for months now and it's really essential.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think it has Jun 5, 2014

Years ago I did a project that directly affected my eyesight and it has been deteriorating ever since.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has your work as a translator affected your eyesight?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »