Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Has your business benefited from obtaining a translation-related certification?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 3, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has your business benefited from obtaining a translation-related certification?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 3, 2014

Not certified. Or bothered.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 04:31
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 3, 2014

Yes, I think I have benefited from holding the CIoL's Diploma in Translation.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:31
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Don't know if it would Jun 3, 2014

Since I am not 'certified' in the translation sense of the word.

It would be nice to have a few letters following my name to rubberstamp me as being real 'kosher,' so to speak. However, there is no guarantee that this would deter people asking for that constant bane of all translators - the 'trial translation.' Now, that would be a real benefit.

Changed last line

[Edited at 2014-06-04 00:38
... See more
Since I am not 'certified' in the translation sense of the word.

It would be nice to have a few letters following my name to rubberstamp me as being real 'kosher,' so to speak. However, there is no guarantee that this would deter people asking for that constant bane of all translators - the 'trial translation.' Now, that would be a real benefit.

Changed last line

[Edited at 2014-06-04 00:38 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Definitely Jun 3, 2014

I do not slip through the eye of the needle to become State Authorized in Denmark. (I don't know any English native speakers who do...) Being an MCIL means I can work with State Authorized colleagues, and some of them are my very best clients.

The clients who have found me through the CIoL 'Find a Linguist' page have
been worth having, though there are not many, and they tend to come as one-off jobs.

I have always been fond of the colour red, so I am happy to giv
... See more
I do not slip through the eye of the needle to become State Authorized in Denmark. (I don't know any English native speakers who do...) Being an MCIL means I can work with State Authorized colleagues, and some of them are my very best clients.

The clients who have found me through the CIoL 'Find a Linguist' page have
been worth having, though there are not many, and they tend to come as one-off jobs.

I have always been fond of the colour red, so I am happy to give Proz.com's P badge the benefit of the doubt. I can't say how much difference it makes, because I don't know how business would have gone without it.
I smile respectfully at others who have one, and a few people I know could have one if they chose!

[Edited at 2014-06-03 12:26 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Jun 3, 2014

After a BA, a DPSI and a PGDip, certification would be pretty much useless.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Not certified Jun 3, 2014

neilmac wrote:

Not certified. Or bothered.

And doing well....

Must admit, I also do not have the time for it

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not certified Jun 3, 2014

and, like Michael, I'm doing quite well... Years of experience may well cover the gaps which any unobtained certificates would otherwise fill.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 3, 2014

Not so much the certificate itself, but the course I did in order to get it. This gave me the opportunity to focus on both the practical and theoretical aspects of translation, allowing to develop and improve my skills and (hopefully) become a better translator. The CIoL preparation course simply involved lots of translation practice and feedback in a risk-free environment which helped to boost my confidence and improve my speed and accuracy, while a couple of the projects I did as part of my MA... See more
Not so much the certificate itself, but the course I did in order to get it. This gave me the opportunity to focus on both the practical and theoretical aspects of translation, allowing to develop and improve my skills and (hopefully) become a better translator. The CIoL preparation course simply involved lots of translation practice and feedback in a risk-free environment which helped to boost my confidence and improve my speed and accuracy, while a couple of the projects I did as part of my MA course eventually led to contracts from customers.Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Jun 3, 2014

Helen Hagon wrote:

Not so much the certificate itself, but the course I did in order to get it.

That, and it gave me more confidence - very useful when starting out on my own!

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:01
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
No Jun 3, 2014

I have no certification. only good educational qualification B.A. , M.A.

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jun 3, 2014

But only that it gave me the confidence for doing this job. Almost never been asked to provide proof of any certification.

[Edited at 2014-06-03 12:05 GMT]

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
I answered other Jun 3, 2014

I am not "certified".

Only two BA's and one MA. And yes, my business benefited from it. The MA was a shortcut to start, to gain experience and to build relationships.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:31
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No Idea Jun 3, 2014

...but I do perceive that doing quality translation is what really matters in the eyes of customers.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 09:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Not really Jun 3, 2014

I did some research after my first degree in translation/interpreting. What i found out is that many customers want to see quality and not certifications. So i never took the effort to even go look for professional certifications that would just add an useless cost for yearly subscription. I don't deny some having benefitted from them. However in 14 years i never felt really discriminated or penalized by that if not in some rare occasions.
Those rare occasions didn't justify going for a ce
... See more
I did some research after my first degree in translation/interpreting. What i found out is that many customers want to see quality and not certifications. So i never took the effort to even go look for professional certifications that would just add an useless cost for yearly subscription. I don't deny some having benefitted from them. However in 14 years i never felt really discriminated or penalized by that if not in some rare occasions.
Those rare occasions didn't justify going for a certification. In reality, degree + experience should be more than enough.
That's my experience.

[Edited at 2014-06-03 14:38 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has your business benefited from obtaining a translation-related certification?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »