Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: At what time of day do you prefer to receive a new job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 30, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "At what time of day do you prefer to receive a new job?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No preference whatsoever... May 30, 2014

Of course, that depends on if I'm working on another job at the time...

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:02
Turkish to English
+ ...
Evening May 30, 2014

This is because I can read through the text the previous evening and think about it a little, then sleep on it and wake up next morning ready and raring to go.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No preference May 30, 2014

I voted "no preference", as it really doesn't make much difference. However, I usually prefer to get started on new jobs, particularly large ones, first thing in the morning. I'm an early bird, and don't particularly like starting something new in the afternoon/evening.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Afternoon/evening May 30, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

This is because I can read through the text the previous evening and think about it a little, then sleep on it and wake up next morning ready and raring to go.

Exactly!

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No preference other than... May 30, 2014

Shortly before the current one is completed, with a nice reasonable deadline - in an ideal world.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
No preference really May 30, 2014

New (hassle-free) work is always welcome! Unless I have absolutely nothing else on, in which case I'd usually like to see something in my inbox before midday.

Sometimes when working on a tough or not very enthralling text, I long for one of my more pleasant and enjoyable texts to come in and provide some relief...

[Edited at 2014-05-30 09:04 GMT]

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:02
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
No preference, but... May 30, 2014

The time of the day doesn't really matter, but morning/afternoon is better because that's when I am usually checking e-mails and can also reach the client if necessary (especially if the project is somewhat urgent or complicated).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not too late in the day May 30, 2014

I answered 'other' because I really do not mind if it is a realistic offer from a good client.

What I dislike are certain agencies who regularly send mails late in their day from the UK, well aware that we in Europe are an hour or two ahead, and hope that we can fit them in by next morning. No addition to the rate for a rushed job, and their normal rates are not princely. I have deliberately dropped at least one of them.

So, folks, if you send me a mail at 5 pm your tim
... See more
I answered 'other' because I really do not mind if it is a realistic offer from a good client.

What I dislike are certain agencies who regularly send mails late in their day from the UK, well aware that we in Europe are an hour or two ahead, and hope that we can fit them in by next morning. No addition to the rate for a rushed job, and their normal rates are not princely. I have deliberately dropped at least one of them.

So, folks, if you send me a mail at 5 pm your time, 6 pm my time, and I am packing up for supper, don't ask if I can deliver by 10 am - your time or mine - the next day!

The working day here is from 8 to 4, and I do a compromise with a long lunchbreak, so I may be at work at 6 pm -- and may not start at 8 am.

I do sometimes work in the evenings, if it fits my other plans, but don't take it for granted!

[Edited at 2014-05-30 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other May 30, 2014

Not really bothered, as long as it comes

They are generally from regular customers that know what I translate .

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...

as to the time generally, but I hate receiving jobs Friday afternoon or evening, which is exactly when I receive most of them!

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...

I prefer to receive a job with adequate time allowed for its completion!
I dislike "Friday EoB" deadlines, however, as I do not believe that anyone looks at the job until Monday morning.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...

I don't mind when I receive a new job. The part which matters is the deadline for completing it.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
morning May 30, 2014

I prefer receiving jobs in the morning, so I can finish whatever I am doing, set up the new job and contact the TM in case any issues surface which I had not spotted when I accepted the job.

One agency has a habit of sending me jobs in the afternoon, which reach me late in the evening or even at night, due to the time difference, and request delivery the next morning (my afternoon). I do try to teach them to change this habit which causes considerable stress at my end if any issues
... See more
I prefer receiving jobs in the morning, so I can finish whatever I am doing, set up the new job and contact the TM in case any issues surface which I had not spotted when I accepted the job.

One agency has a habit of sending me jobs in the afternoon, which reach me late in the evening or even at night, due to the time difference, and request delivery the next morning (my afternoon). I do try to teach them to change this habit which causes considerable stress at my end if any issues surface during the project as I can't reach the TM, or at their end if I happen to be unavailable, so when they come in the next day expecting to find the finished translation, they see my reply ('unfortunately, I am not available') instead.

Ideally, the deadline will be some time after 10 AM, so I can finish the translation the day before and proofread/check it before delivery the next day. I agree about Friday EOB deadlines, but in my experience most TMs are happy to accept 'Monday, say 8 AM' as a deadline instead when I suggest it.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what time of day do you prefer to receive a new job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »