Poll: When a client asks you for your rates, what else apart from the general rates do you specify?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 29, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When a client asks you for your rates, what else apart from the general rates do you specify?".

This poll was originally submitted by SSR Translation. View the poll results »

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:47
French to English
depends! May 29, 2014

Well before mentioning any figures at all I try to determine exactly what the job involves and then when I give my rate, I'll specify whether there are any factors that could affect it (like giving me a few more days to remove the rush surcharge, or for a small job, explaining that they can give up to X number of words more by the end of the month and it will be the same price.

It also depends very much on the attitude of the person. If they are pleasant, I'm more likely to explain
... See more
Well before mentioning any figures at all I try to determine exactly what the job involves and then when I give my rate, I'll specify whether there are any factors that could affect it (like giving me a few more days to remove the rush surcharge, or for a small job, explaining that they can give up to X number of words more by the end of the month and it will be the same price.

It also depends very much on the attitude of the person. If they are pleasant, I'm more likely to explain how to bring the price down. If they are unbearable, then I might just bump up the rate to scare them off.
(As a result I have a couple of very well paying, unbearable customers... I keep working for them because their texts are very interesting)
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
?? May 29, 2014

If I am asked something specific, why should I provide other information other than if it is asked?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 29, 2014

All my clients know my rates (my rates haven’t changed for over 3 years). When a potential client asks for my rates, I always say that my rate for a specific job depends on the subject matter and other practical circumstances, that I need to see the document first and that I will get back to him with a non-binding price estimate ASAP (within 24 hours, at the latest, depending how busy I am).

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Other: week-end rates May 29, 2014

When the translation is 100% during the week-end (from Friday 8 pm to Monday 9 am) I ask for a 30% upgrade.

Some outsourcers ask systematically for big translations (> 4,000 words) during the week-end.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I don't get "rush rates" May 29, 2014

Either you have time to do it or you don't, in which case you'd be doing overtime and in my book that's double time (in the unlikely event I'd take it)

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:47
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
General rates only May 29, 2014

Other rates - weekend, rush and difficult or out-of-the-norm job requirements - are negotiated on an ad-hoc basis.

BTW, "I only specify my general rates" should be "I specify only my general rates." Very nitpickity today.

@Chris S
"Double time" Hmm Haven't heard that one in yonks. (Doesn't exist in Japan. sob sob) Maybe you should be our union rep.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Payment terms & method May 29, 2014

Here in Brazil, the official interest rate is 11%/month. PayPal deducts 6.5% in fees plus 3.5% in openly lower-than-market exchange rates.

My translation rates are always the same, however the financial costs on them may vary considerably. Therefore when I'm asked about my best rates, I take it as if they wanted to save in third-party financial services, and usually give them three options.

Enrico Antonio Mion
Enrico Antonio Mion  Identity Verified
France
English to Italian
+ ...
no room for words May 29, 2014

I agree with Michael. If all they want to know is my rates, that's what I am gonna give. If later they show interest in working together, that's when - according to the time allotted and the kind of project - I start to explain how and why those rates might change.
If they ask you for your rates, they want to get straight to the numbers then, and we don't have much room for words in the first email.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other May 29, 2014

I do none of the above until I have seen the document(s) and know their timeline.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 29, 2014

My collaboration conditions (workable formats, use of abbrevations/acronyms, no difficult-to-modify insertions, disclaimer...).

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
It depends on the project May 29, 2014

For example:
Is it a hand-written letter? Priced according to the difficulty of the script.
Is it a diploma? Flat document fee.
Is it a patent or other technical document? Now we're actually talking standard rates.

And I only discuss rates *after* I've looked at the document *and* know if they require a CAT tool that I don't use.

3 rounds of email and the PO comes with Trados repetitions. I don't use it: it says so right on my ProZ page (where they f
... See more
For example:
Is it a hand-written letter? Priced according to the difficulty of the script.
Is it a diploma? Flat document fee.
Is it a patent or other technical document? Now we're actually talking standard rates.

And I only discuss rates *after* I've looked at the document *and* know if they require a CAT tool that I don't use.

3 rounds of email and the PO comes with Trados repetitions. I don't use it: it says so right on my ProZ page (where they found me), it is stated on my CV (which they asked for and presumably read), and there was NO discussion of CAT tools during the emails.
I feel like I need to incorporate it into my sig file.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:47
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Depends on document May 29, 2014

"Thank you for your interest in my translation services.

Please note that I can quote a rate only after seeing the document to be translated."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When a client asks you for your rates, what else apart from the general rates do you specify?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »