Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Drifted May 26, 2014

I started as a language trainer, and from there moved to interpreting. Translation was a natural step after that.

Claudia Cherici
Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:26
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Always wanted to translate May 27, 2014

I've always wanted to be a translator, and this dictated all my choices of an educational nature ever since high school, too
I remember going to see a book fair with my dad, I must have been eight or nine, there was this series of children's books about professions, there was one about a girl who wanted to be a lawyer, one about a girl who wanted to be a teacher and so on, and I picked the one about becoming an interpreter
Is that what you want to be?, said my dad who knew how much I
... See more
I've always wanted to be a translator, and this dictated all my choices of an educational nature ever since high school, too
I remember going to see a book fair with my dad, I must have been eight or nine, there was this series of children's books about professions, there was one about a girl who wanted to be a lawyer, one about a girl who wanted to be a teacher and so on, and I picked the one about becoming an interpreter
Is that what you want to be?, said my dad who knew how much I loved languages, Good choice!
Thanks for giving me a chance to start the day writing about my dad whom I recently lost and miss every second
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:26
French to English
bit of everything really May 27, 2014

I always wanted to be a translator, but was dissuaded from it - I was told only diplomats' children could ever be good enough (the careers person didn't know she was talking to someone who had taught herself the subjunctive past and present in French!)

So I drifted into teaching, then writing for computer-assisted language learnign, and then later on picked up on a couple of opportunities to do translation work, then finally got a job as translator/native English Girl Friday at an a
... See more
I always wanted to be a translator, but was dissuaded from it - I was told only diplomats' children could ever be good enough (the careers person didn't know she was talking to someone who had taught herself the subjunctive past and present in French!)

So I drifted into teaching, then writing for computer-assisted language learnign, and then later on picked up on a couple of opportunities to do translation work, then finally got a job as translator/native English Girl Friday at an agency.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How did you get into translating?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »