Poll: How long is your working day, on average?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 23, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long is your working day, on average?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka Márquez. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe 6-8 hours May 23, 2014

Who's counting? Some days I do not work at all and others I work for hours! For the last 15 days, weekends included, I have been working from 7 am till 10 pm with two breaks of 20 minutes, representing circa 14 hours…

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:51
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Hmmm May 23, 2014

Averages fluctuate depending on how busy I am.

I don't keep 'strict working hours' as mentioned in a recent poll and start at a certain time and down tools at 6pm, say.
If I'm up to my eyeballs in work, I'm prepared to work late and weekends to get it done.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Variable May 23, 2014

Same as Teresa, although I don't often go for a whole day without doing something work related. Probably about 6-8 hours on average, although this year I'm working a bit less (and stressing out less too!).

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 07:51
Turkish to English
+ ...
8 - 10 hours May 23, 2014

When I have a full workload, I try to put in between 8 - 10 hours; I sometimes manage more - it depends to an extent on how early I can get up.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
>12 May 23, 2014

depending on how much work I have to do.

But I do tend to take 1 1/2 days off a week though

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Depends on how much work there is to be done May 23, 2014

If I have a job that needs delivery, then I'll do it by working maybe 6 hours in a day, maybe more. I can't get up early (musician husband has to work late), but I can occasionally work late into the evening.

If there's nothing pressing then I weave in a presence here, admin (there's always some!), and keeping up with industry news etc. with non-work things. I don't have a particular amount of time I'll spend on that type of "work".

I find that so many things I want to
... See more
If I have a job that needs delivery, then I'll do it by working maybe 6 hours in a day, maybe more. I can't get up early (musician husband has to work late), but I can occasionally work late into the evening.

If there's nothing pressing then I weave in a presence here, admin (there's always some!), and keeping up with industry news etc. with non-work things. I don't have a particular amount of time I'll spend on that type of "work".

I find that so many things I want to do when I'm at home require computer/internet access (shopping, travel arrangements, banking, recipes, writing/speaking to friends and family...) that the division between work and leisure gets blurred. I'd worry about that if I were younger.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
5-6 May 23, 2014

9-4 less lunch and 1-2 afternoons in the saddle

When I'm actually working I work very intensively

Beyond 6 hours I start to get tired/bored

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other May 23, 2014

Depends on how much work there I have to do.

As others say, some days I don't work at all and others I'm so busy I've to work more than 6-8 hours.

Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha
Aditya Ikhsan Prasiddha  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:51
English to Indonesian
>12 May 23, 2014

Can't believe I voted >12. I'm worried about my health and sanity. Should I reject some jobs?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The average depends on the workload May 23, 2014

Usually I work 6 -8 hours as a freelance translator, plus a few hours on other projects.

However, large projects with tight deadlines can easily expand the "average" working hours to more than 12 hours until the project is ready to be delivered - however many days this might take.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:21
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
6-8 hours May 23, 2014

I think it is enough to sit for work 6-8 hours in common days. When deadlines are very strict then it can cross near 10-11 hours too.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 04:51
Japanese to English
4-6 hours May 23, 2014

4-6 hours of major productivity and another 2 hours of declining productivity until I finally chuck in the towel for the day.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
I work slightly more than I sleep May 23, 2014

I am no philosopher, but I advocate for slower work hours. Not fewer, but slower.

I refuse to treat nature with disdain and pretend to work like my brain is some sort of Pentium microchip.

I refuse to type faster for hours on end.

I refuse to disrespect my mind by pushing it to think faster.

I am happier when I translate more slowly.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
> 12 May 23, 2014

I find it difficult to say no but I always take my dogs out in the morning for an hour or an hour and a half. I have my best ideas when out with them. It also keeps me sane and healthy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long is your working day, on average?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »