Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you volunteer your services as a translator or interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 21, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you volunteer your services as a translator or interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilakahuja. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, very occasionally... May 21, 2014

UNV, Translators without Frontiers, Médécins du Monde and some development NGOs active in the former African Portuguese colonies...

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 02:05
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sure. May 21, 2014

I offered my services for free to Croatian and Serbian emergency squads during these terrible floods.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:05
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2014

If it serves a political cause that I believe in, although I can't afford to do it too often.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2014

By translating annual reports for an NGO helping underprivileged children.

Alexandranow
Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:05
Romanian to English
+ ...
other May 21, 2014

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you volunteer your services as a translator or interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilakahuja. View the poll results »

I had for long time no work load, so I met some people who worked for a foundation and I offered myself to do the interpreting or translation, for free of for money...they thanked me, and that was all. Maybe I will do some volunteer work, occasionally, if I am asked to.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Small jobs for friends May 21, 2014

I help society by giving people I know a leg up in their personal endeavors. For example, I've translated web sites, school admissions letters, academic credentials, resumes, cover letters, and literary blogs - all free of charge to friends and acquaintances.

Once in a while you really feel a sense of reward by seeing your friends succeed.

macimovic
macimovic
Netherlands
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2014

Within UN volunteers program.

Also, a group of local translators organized to translate medical documentation for children and those in need because they already have to pay huge amounts of money for travelling to another country to be medically treated.

This way we try to make it a little bit easier for them.

Emma Williams
Emma Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:05
Italian to English
+ ...
yes - once a month May 21, 2014

I translate for Save the Children - letters sponsors write to sponsored children and other stuff for the corporate side.
I feel it's a privilege and I am pleased to do it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
All the time May 21, 2014

You wouldn't believe the demand for Danish translation services in the Third World and the Welsh charidee sector

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2014

For TWB and a group called Intermón Oxfam.

I also translate old documents for genealogists. They traced one line of my family back to 300 ad, but it helps that I am of royal descent, haha.

L. Clark Gillette
L. Clark Gillette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:05
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Volunteered for Red Cross May 21, 2014

As a recent translation/interpretation graduate, I volunteered my services for the Red Cross in a flooding disaster in California.

Georgios Tziakos
Georgios Tziakos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
300 out of 1000 translators volunteer! May 21, 2014

Hi everyone! I try to offer at least a few thousand words per month, although sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

I must say, however, that I am really positively impressed by the results of this poll so far - almost one in three translators seem to actively offer to society through their profession. I wonder if the same can be said for most professions out there? Maybe it's just the ease with which you can find worthy causes to translate for that makes it possible, but per
... See more
Hi everyone! I try to offer at least a few thousand words per month, although sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

I must say, however, that I am really positively impressed by the results of this poll so far - almost one in three translators seem to actively offer to society through their profession. I wonder if the same can be said for most professions out there? Maybe it's just the ease with which you can find worthy causes to translate for that makes it possible, but perhaps there are other factors?
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I support a local museum May 21, 2014

I used to help out in the shop and staffing as a volunteer, but it s difficult to find the time when it has to be planned in advance. However, there are not so many of their supporters who can translate for them, and their deadlines are usually generous.

They run largely on volunteers, sponsors and a tight budget, and the results are top class. I feel honoured to be associated with them.

Generally I prefer to be paid for my work, and then donate money, but of course the
... See more
I used to help out in the shop and staffing as a volunteer, but it s difficult to find the time when it has to be planned in advance. However, there are not so many of their supporters who can translate for them, and their deadlines are usually generous.

They run largely on volunteers, sponsors and a tight budget, and the results are top class. I feel honoured to be associated with them.

Generally I prefer to be paid for my work, and then donate money, but of course there is a limit to what I can afford!
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the list at our local hospital May 21, 2014

I've never been called here, but it happened a few times when I was spending more time near the east coast.

And we used to get hauled in by the law courts occasionally when they were slap bang next door to us - they seemed to think it was our duty to do so because it was never really a request, more of a "you need to be there at 11am on Friday morning" - glad they moved to another part of town because I was getting a bit fed up with the lack of thank yous.

Then there a
... See more
I've never been called here, but it happened a few times when I was spending more time near the east coast.

And we used to get hauled in by the law courts occasionally when they were slap bang next door to us - they seemed to think it was our duty to do so because it was never really a request, more of a "you need to be there at 11am on Friday morning" - glad they moved to another part of town because I was getting a bit fed up with the lack of thank yous.

Then there are the acquaintances who consider themselves, for the occasion, friends and expect me to do things for free. I've developed a method I feel happy with: I say that since I should be charging them "X" for what I'm doing for them, they should put whatever amount they feel is right into one of the charity boxes in our office. Works rather well.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you volunteer your services as a translator or interpreter?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »