Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do your clients usually ask for discounts?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:06
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Attracting the right clients May 16, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

I don't attract clients who are fishing for discounts anyway.

Exactamundo. The most professional of us are attracting the best clients. It means we are doing a lot of things right.

[Edited at 2014-05-16 19:30 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:06
French to English
+ ...
I offer a discount, but there are no takers :-) May 16, 2014

If the client asks for a discount, I say I give a 10% cumulative discount for 20,000 words a month or more. That would reduce my rate to what I keep charging my two old clients who actually *do* give me such workloads. No takers so far - surprise surprise!

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:06
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes May 17, 2014

Sure, there are occasional requests for discounts.

I don't really have a problem with that. I view it as an open door to renegotiate other aspects - very fast payment, very relaxed deadlines, etc. and I will usually answer the request in that manner. "I need to give assignments paid at my full rate priority. However, if we extend the deadline by X days/weeks, I may be able to meet you at Y rate."

I equally apply rush and weekend surcharges, so some of my clients have b
... See more
Sure, there are occasional requests for discounts.

I don't really have a problem with that. I view it as an open door to renegotiate other aspects - very fast payment, very relaxed deadlines, etc. and I will usually answer the request in that manner. "I need to give assignments paid at my full rate priority. However, if we extend the deadline by X days/weeks, I may be able to meet you at Y rate."

I equally apply rush and weekend surcharges, so some of my clients have become much better at preparing assignments in advance.
It saves their money and my nerves and that is a win-win situation.

Most of the time we can come to an agreement on that basis.

Equally, I am far more willing to negotiate a one-off discount, if the client in question is an exceptionally fast payer, and doesn't usually moan about rates.

People/agencies that just want to haggle for the sake of it are a different matter altogether, but they usually attempt this on the first contact, not after successful collaboration. Thus, they are not my "clients" and don't fall within the scope of this question.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your clients usually ask for discounts?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »