Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a blog?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 11, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a blog?".

This poll was originally submitted by KeyCheck. View the poll results »

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other May 11, 2014

I keep a news page, but I do not blog.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 11, 2014

1. I'm too busy to blog
2. I’m a very private person
3. I feel I have really nothing interesting to say…

See more
1. I'm too busy to blog
2. I’m a very private person
3. I feel I have really nothing interesting to say…

http://www.proz.com/polls/archived?poll_id_link=13361
http://www.proz.com/polls/archived?poll_id_link=11365
http://www.proz.com/polls/archived?poll_id_link=7046
http://www.proz.com/polls/archived?poll_id_link=6985

[Edited at 2014-05-11 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:47
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
Yes May 11, 2014

But it has nothing to do with translation. I follow some translation blogs I find really interesting, but I think there are way too many translators saying the same things again and again just because you HAVE to have a blog. I don't want to be one of them, and although I sometimes have (good) ideas, I feel I wouldn't have enough new and interesting material to keep a translation blog.

Vibeke Degn-P
Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 07:47
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Not blog May 11, 2014

But in addition to being a translator, I'm also a food journalist. I use Instagram to promote that part of my business, and it really works.
Vibeke, or better known as @matredaktoren on Instagram

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 11, 2014

It's general, with focus on my book "Finding My Invincible Summer." The link is www.findingmyinvinciblesummer.com. I cover a variety of other topics, and translation is one of them.

I have a bunch of entries in the pipeline, but I haven't had time to post them lately because I was stuck with a 281-page "rush" job.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not yet May 11, 2014

Once my website will be up and running, I will include a blog.

Elena Mordenti
Elena Mordenti  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes May 11, 2014

I began last year after an online course for translators but stopped two week later. I didn't know what to write actually, but I made an effort just to start with it. Since months I haven't post anything but now I like it and feel good by sharing things I learned in my previous work experience.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other: 'almost a blog', as I put it May 11, 2014

IMO a blog assumes a commitment to feed new stuff all the time, or at least periodically.

I have a section within my web site where I publish my articles for the translation profession/market. Their content is relatively stable, and new additions are not frequent.

a section within my web site where I publish my articles for the translation profession/market. Their content is relatively stable, and new additions are not frequent.

Existe a mesma página com os artigos em português. (Same page with articles in BR Portuguese.)

I did not call mine a blog in view of the excellent authentic blogs kept by my Brazilian colleagues:

• Danilo Nogueira - who keeps it going strong; and
  • Fabio Said, who converted his previous blog Fidus Interpres into a book, and now created a new blog.

Many articles by Danilo Nogueira may be found in English at the Translation Journal site. ▲ Collapse

•  
    Michael Harris
    Michael Harris  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2006)
    German to English
    No May 11, 2014

Same as Teresa,

Too busy, cant be bothered, I have a life and why do I have to share it with the rest of the world, etc. etc. etc.....

And not only that, you never know which idiots may use info to their advantage.

Nope, not with me!

Domenico Trimboli
    Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
    Italy
    English to Italian
    Not yet May 11, 2014

No, but I'm seriously considering having one.

Triston Goodwin
    Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 00:47
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    Yes? May 11, 2014

I have one that is supposed to focus on video game translation, but I only just started it and I haven't posted anything in the last two months. I have a dozen things to post as soon as work calms down a little.

Jeff Whittaker
    Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 02:47
    Member (2002)
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    No. May 11, 2014

I used to, but I ran out of ideas and didn't have the time to keep it going. I really appreciate those who have really good blogs because I know how much work it is.

Now, I just use Twitter as a sort of blog and that suits me better: https://twitter.com/WhittakerJeff

Mario Chavez (X)
    Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
    Local time: 02:47
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    The purpose of blogs is not just one May 12, 2014

Many self-appointed marketing gurus will proclaim that any translator worth his/her salt needs to have a blog, and to write often to remain relevant or visible.

I beg to differ.

As many of you have pointed out in different words, you have to a) have something to say and b) want to say it to others. Otherwise, cocktail parties and the occasional watercooler chat about shop are enough.

Some people are very prolific writers and have a knack for putting ideas i
    ... See more
    Many self-appointed marketing gurus will proclaim that any translator worth his/her salt needs to have a blog, and to write often to remain relevant or visible.

I beg to differ.

As many of you have pointed out in different words, you have to a) have something to say and b) want to say it to others. Otherwise, cocktail parties and the occasional watercooler chat about shop are enough.

Some people are very prolific writers and have a knack for putting ideas into engaging prose. Some of them may find it very easy to write up a 700- or 1000-word article to post on a blog. Others need more motivation or find it more energy-draining.

I like to blog (wordsmeet.wordpress.com) but not for other translators. I try to focus on people who use translation services. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 topics to talk about in a week; oftentimes, I get by a single topic in a period of months.

I also blog about information security things but only in Spanish because it's a new field I'm exploiting (www.auriseg.org). So far, no readers, but I'm not that concerned since I'm just getting my feet wet, offering excerpts of news I read elsewhere and also offering my viewpoints. These excerpts are my own writing, never lifting text from other websites, a practice called web scrapping, which is a grey area close to plagiarism in my book.

I guess I see blogging as I see painting: you do it because it's a pleasurable activity for you, not because you want to please somebody else. My translation-related blog seldom get readers, but that was never the point of my blog anyways.

[Edited at 2014-05-12 02:18 GMT]
    Collapse

Pieter Beens
    Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Member (2011)
    English to Dutch
    Yes May 12, 2014

Yes, I have a blog: www.vertaalt.nu/blog.
    I like writing (in my native language) and wrote several books.
    I am far too busy too blog, but writing gives me a chance to empty my brain and to do what I like.
    I've no goals or expectations but would like to offer clients some insights in my processes while I would like to share best practices and tips and tricks with other translators as well.... See more
    Yes, I have a blog: www.vertaalt.nu/blog.
    I like writing (in my native language) and wrote several books.
    I am far too busy too blog, but writing gives me a chance to empty my brain and to do what I like.
    I've no goals or expectations but would like to offer clients some insights in my processes while I would like to share best practices and tips and tricks with other translators as well.
    My Periodic Table of Trados Shortcuts is succesful and perhaps that will improve my ranking for clients, prospects, etc.
    The caveat of blogging: you should do it on a regular basis. But jobs have my priority so I only write them in the evening, when I would like to relax but feel that it's time to post a blog post...

By the way: some articles I posted on Proz.com too..
    Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a blog?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »