Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Would you continue to work as a translator if you won the lottery?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 10, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you continue to work as a translator if you won the lottery?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:45
German to English
+ ...
Other May 10, 2014

I don't play the lottery!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Strangely enough May 10, 2014

This was a random thought of mine the other day and I came to the conclusion that I would (but I don't often play the lottery so the chances of it happening are slim).

It would take the stress out of quiet periods. Slow week? Ah well, I'll just pop off on my private jet to the Caribbean

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 10, 2014

Like the scorpion in the old tale*, I'm afraid so, at least for my direct clients. I'd probably ease up the pace a bit, and maybe think about gradually passing my best clients on to colleagues - for example one of them already has one friend/colleague of mine giving them the TEFL lessons I used to do, and she and her husband are both translators and would be glad to take over the translation side of the business which I currently handle. This would be one of the few occasions I'd willingly part... See more
Like the scorpion in the old tale*, I'm afraid so, at least for my direct clients. I'd probably ease up the pace a bit, and maybe think about gradually passing my best clients on to colleagues - for example one of them already has one friend/colleague of mine giving them the TEFL lessons I used to do, and she and her husband are both translators and would be glad to take over the translation side of the business which I currently handle. This would be one of the few occasions I'd willingly part with my TMs or glossaries (although I don't really have many of the latter to speak of).

I could also probably keep going with my universities too, as their deadlines don't usually suffer from the unseemly haste of more business-oriented clients.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other May 10, 2014

I don't play the lottery. But IF I did play for some reason and IF I won the jackpot, then I WOULD continue to work with my favorite clients. After all, many of the former winners went "crazy" and spent their money like it was going out of style until it was all gone.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes May 10, 2014

I most definitely would, though at a slower pace and only for a chosen few...

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I'm not sure May 10, 2014

I don't play the lottery, so it's just hypothetical, but it would depend on how much I won.
It had to be more than 3 million dollars to make me change anything.

But let's say it was real big money, then I might find more worthy causes than translation, who knows.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Honestly May 10, 2014

I would still be an interpreter, that is for sure, but I wouldn't do any more translations.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes May 10, 2014

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:
But let's say it was real big money, then I might find more worthy causes than translation, who knows.

An animal sanctuary - just another dream of mine.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Exactly May 10, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

I most definitely would, though at a slower pace and only for a chosen few...

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:45
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
No May 10, 2014

No more commercial translations for me, though I would still take on literary translation assignments.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I would definitely work May 10, 2014

I would definitely work, but it would more likely be for good causes. I already do a fair amount of volunteering, so I would be happy to scale that up.

If in the course of my volunteer work I were asked to do translations then I would be happy to do them (I already have but it's a very minor part of what I do)

I would happily continue to work for some people working in sustainable development, organic cosmetics, and the museums and art exhibitions.

Not doi
... See more
I would definitely work, but it would more likely be for good causes. I already do a fair amount of volunteering, so I would be happy to scale that up.

If in the course of my volunteer work I were asked to do translations then I would be happy to do them (I already have but it's a very minor part of what I do)

I would happily continue to work for some people working in sustainable development, organic cosmetics, and the museums and art exhibitions.

Not doing anything language- and culture-oriented would probably leave a gap in my soul somewhere, but then I could just as easily take up another language, especially as I could very well decide to relocate somewhere hotter
Collapse

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Other May 10, 2014

Mary Worby wrote:

I don't play the lottery!

+1 (so am I)

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Teach May 10, 2014

I'd give free language lessons to highly motivated language learners.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
No idea May 10, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

Same here. I think I'd also keep translating in some way, but maybe not for money... Or maybe for money too. No idea. Anyway, I play only about once a year, so this is not very likely to happen!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you continue to work as a translator if you won the lottery?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »