Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: When the workflow is low, how do you mostly spend your extra time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 10:52
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
. May 8, 2014

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

The place gets sadly neglected when I'm busy, there is always plenty of cleaning, washing and ironing to do.

When that happens (which is often), I terribly miss the days when I was buried in translation work.

Josef Šoltes
Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:52
English to Czech
+1 May 8, 2014

Mary Worby wrote:

I enjoy the peace while it lasts!

+1

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
ah yes, don't forget to panic May 8, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

Spare time is for enjoying until the slack period becomes uncomfortably long and then I start to...well...panic!!!

I am always so relieved to hear I am not the only one who starts to panic when quiet periods extend for longer stretches of time!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May I join the club? May 8, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

Spare time is for enjoying until the slack period becomes uncomfortably long and then I start to...well...panic!!!

I am always so relieved to hear I am not the only one who starts to panic when quiet periods extend for longer stretches of time!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A realistic club May 8, 2014

Teresa Borges wrote:

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

Indeed, when the quiet period(s) become too long, I am seriously concerned (near panic). If there are only short quiet periods inbetween long periods of many jobs, then I use that time for admin work, a combination of all options listed in the poll, and for my writing work.

It's nice to have a few quiet days once in a while, but if they stretch out... I'll join your club, if I may.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:52
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Membership is free! May 8, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

It's nice to have a few quiet days once in a while, but if they stretch out... I'll join your club, if I may.

I ought to add that I don't suddenly burst into an out-and-out panic and start pulling my hair out.

It starts out as a niggling itch which turns into mild fretting and finally into geunine worry.
Last month was dismally abysmal. 3 or 4 decent sized projects got trimmed down into miniscule jobs or postponed for budgetting reasons or whatever, and the 3-month project due to start mid this month got postponed until the 1st week of June. Aaaaaagh!

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 07:52
Japanese to English
Other May 8, 2014

Though I suppose I could file video games under "I improve my language skills" and "I improve my computer skills"...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 8, 2014

Usually on household chores, gardening, shopping, admin and officialdom... for example I need to put my car through its periodic inspection in the next week or so and am waiting for a lull because the whole process takes a day or two here...

PS: I can go for about a week before starting to worry.

[Edited at 2014-05-08 14:15 GMT]

Domenico Trimboli
Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Other May 8, 2014

I tend not to have slow days, for me it's more slow weeks.

I generally do not enjoy my free time, and after 1-2 slow days the panic phase begins. It gets bigger and bigger with time, and usually ends up the following week, with everyone calling at the same time and me insulting myself for being so stupid not to relax when I had the occasion.

Needless to say, the whole thing happens at least once/twice per quarter.

I love this job!...
See more
I tend not to have slow days, for me it's more slow weeks.

I generally do not enjoy my free time, and after 1-2 slow days the panic phase begins. It gets bigger and bigger with time, and usually ends up the following week, with everyone calling at the same time and me insulting myself for being so stupid not to relax when I had the occasion.

Needless to say, the whole thing happens at least once/twice per quarter.

I love this job!
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Industry research! May 8, 2014

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

Though I suppose I could file video games under "I improve my language skills" and "I improve my computer skills"...

If you translate video games, it could be considered industry research and maybe even marketing This is my No. 1 excuse for playing video games in my free time

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now I know who you are... May 8, 2014

dianaft wrote:

phone my mum, do some gardening, build fences, pop around my neighbours for a coffee and chat, extend my daily walk a little more... and all the other things that I don't get around to often enough.

An extrovert! Proof: ...pop around my neighbours for a coffee and chat...

Not that there's anything wrong in thaat!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ah, videogames! May 8, 2014

Triston & Gaby wrote:

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

If you translate video games, it could be considered industry research and maybe even marketing This is my No. 1 excuse for playing video games in my free time

I'm sticking to PacMan...or watching Wreck It Ralph

By the way, did you know that 2K is hiring?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Arthur Godinho
Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What do I do during the Down Time? May 8, 2014

Take the extra day off graciously!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
workaholic lifestyle May 8, 2014

I provide free or voluntary translations, for example, currently on Twitter

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When the workflow is low, how do you mostly spend your extra time?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »