Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever taught the language(s) you work in to others?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:40
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Both May 7, 2014

Teaching English to the French guests of a language school director.

And I've also taught (an still do) both English and Germany in less formal classes.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No May 7, 2014

I'm surprised so many translators have also been teachers, I'd have thought the two would attract totally different types of people

You must all be more complicated than me

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 7, 2014

I started out teaching Spanish as a member of the Adjunct Faculty of the university I graduated from. After I moved to Spain, I started teaching EFL at a local academy, then found a job at a British international school, where I first taught Spanish from KS 1 through GCSC and then added British History, Modern International History and Child Care and Development, while doing translations on the side (mostly through contacts I made at the school).

I really enjoyed the students and t
... See more
I started out teaching Spanish as a member of the Adjunct Faculty of the university I graduated from. After I moved to Spain, I started teaching EFL at a local academy, then found a job at a British international school, where I first taught Spanish from KS 1 through GCSC and then added British History, Modern International History and Child Care and Development, while doing translations on the side (mostly through contacts I made at the school).

I really enjoyed the students and the subjects I taught, but the school's administration was simply awful and I eventually left when I was offered a consultant position designing an internet-based Spanish course. This gave me time to build up my translation client portfolio while I finished that project and could begin translating full-time.

I can't imagine going back to teaching. I love translating.

[Edited at 2014-05-07 13:35 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not complicated May 7, 2014

Chris S wrote:

I'm surprised so many translators have also been teachers, I'd have thought the two would attract totally different types of people

You must all be more complicated than me

Hi Chris,

no, we're probably not more "complicated" than you are. But different people enjoy doing different things. Being a translator is 8or can be) a fulltime job, leaving no time for training/teaching. The most important thing is that you enjoy, even love what you're doing.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
For 20 years May 7, 2014

I taught English for 20 years, most of which was at my own language school. I also taught Spanish to foreigners in Mexico.

Eleonora Chyc
Eleonora Chyc  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:40
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
Yes. May 7, 2014

I used to teach English professionally for 11years.I also teach my daughter Russian and Ukrainian (my native languages).Sometimes - my friends. It's a way of socializing .I don't mean I like showing off, it's rather fun.I offered Polish to my relatives and did work but then it stopped. Never mind. People tend to value something when they pay for it .

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:40
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, formally May 8, 2014

I've been teaching Russian for about 17 years, different levels - University, language schools, high schools.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 8, 2014

I taught English and helped with Spanish (for us gringos) while in Argentina.

I'd love to pick up a third language if anyone here wants to teach me for free

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:40
Dutch to Indonesian
+ ...
No May 8, 2014

Because I can't teach.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here May 8, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

1) You leave your native country and immerse yourself in another language
2) You retrain to teach your native language - it was one of the few jobs you could do without the local language, before the Internet
3) You help adult students patch up their English texts; correct exam papers
4) Once you speak the lingo OK, people ask you to translate things for them, unofficially, for a bottle of local wine
5) You see translation developing as a second income stream rather than a source of booze, so you get trained and official.

Same trajectory here.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:40
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - I think it qualifies May 9, 2014

I taught English-Spanish translation at Georgetown University for 14 years, and much of my job was teaching English to the students.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever taught the language(s) you work in to others?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »