Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you like the most about being a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 1, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you like the most about being a freelancer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Valeria Verona. View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 20:56
Turkish to English
+ ...
Being my own boss May 1, 2014

Working for an excellent employer is priceless - I have only ever had that privilege once in my life - but working for bad employers - an experience I have had far too often - is, in my experience, unbearable. I much prefer being my own boss.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:26
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Being my own boss is great one! May 1, 2014

It is very attractive option which is impressive. I love to work as freelancer due to it.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 1, 2014

All of the above.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Best: being my own boss May 1, 2014

However, like Neil, I like all of the benefits of a freelancer.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Flexible work schedule May 1, 2014

Being able to work in my most performant hours of the day is priceless for me. That is to manage correctly my rest after a burst of job, for instance (yes, I'm from Spain, so having a siesta is allowed - sometimes). It balances my whole life, an asset when you reach 50 y.o.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
other May 1, 2014

all of the above + a possibility to choose who to work with.

I have some good clients whom I really enjoy working with even if their rates are somewhat low compared to what I usually ask for. And some other who make me feel like whatever I do for them is a waste of time no matter how much they pay (just fired one of this kind).

[Edited at 2014-05-01 08:53 GMT]

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
Portuguese to English
Siesta May 1, 2014

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:

Being able to work in my most performant hours of the day is priceless for me. That is to manage correctly my rest after a burst of job, for instance (yes, I'm from Spain, so having a siesta is allowed - sometimes). It balances my whole life, an asset when you reach 50 y.o.

I am not from Spain but I ALWAYS have a siesta! I am at my most unproductive in the afternoon, even if I don't have a big lunch........ so, it's great to be able to choose the hours I work. I have no problem getting up at 5am if need be, but don't ask me to work between 2 and 4pm!

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
all of the above May 1, 2014

Liena Vijupe wrote:

all of the above + a possibility to chose who to work with.

+1
it's really hard to select only one advantage which is the most; all of them are valuable.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All of the above May 1, 2014

except for the "potential for higher income" (I worked as in-house translator for an EU institution and by then I earned more). I have now a better quality of life: working when I want, where I want and with whom I want is priceless!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here May 1, 2014

neilmac wrote:

All of the above.

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
other: it's interesting May 1, 2014

I learn something new each day and I've always enjoyed messing around with words. Hopefully an active brain will keep Alzheimer's at bay.

I also think being able to work from anywhere is great.

Being my own boss and flexible schedule are good but not hugely important.

Also, I don't earn more as a translator. I worked shorter hours as a teacher and earned more and I also earned a lot when I worked in the Canadian Merchant Marine years ago (though that was
... See more
I learn something new each day and I've always enjoyed messing around with words. Hopefully an active brain will keep Alzheimer's at bay.

I also think being able to work from anywhere is great.

Being my own boss and flexible schedule are good but not hugely important.

Also, I don't earn more as a translator. I worked shorter hours as a teacher and earned more and I also earned a lot when I worked in the Canadian Merchant Marine years ago (though that was 8 hours a day x 7 days a week so Sat and Sun were paid at overtime rates.)

[Edited at 2014-05-01 09:34 GMT]
Collapse

Sylvie Pelissier
Sylvie Pelissier  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to French
All of the above May 1, 2014

[Edited at 2014-05-01 09:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-01 09:35 GMT]

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Yep - May 1, 2014

All of the above!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Flexible work schedule / choice of work May 1, 2014

It's definitely not the higher salary, as I used to earn much more working in export for a manufacturing company. However, the job there was not flexible at all, which was an endless problem to me as the mother of two children. Now I don't need to worry if one of them is sick, or has a dental appointment, and I can attend school plays, sports days etc., or even just take some time for myself without having to grovel to my boss.

Most of all, though, I like being able to choose the w
... See more
It's definitely not the higher salary, as I used to earn much more working in export for a manufacturing company. However, the job there was not flexible at all, which was an endless problem to me as the mother of two children. Now I don't need to worry if one of them is sick, or has a dental appointment, and I can attend school plays, sports days etc., or even just take some time for myself without having to grovel to my boss.

Most of all, though, I like being able to choose the work I do. I can tailor my job description to suit my own interests and preferences, resulting in greater job satisfaction. I certainly get fewer headaches now than I used to...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you like the most about being a freelancer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »