Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever work overnight?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 29, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever work overnight?".

This poll was originally submitted by Md Abu Alam. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never Apr 29, 2014

I have never worked the whole night even when I was starting out (the only time I did something close to that the consequences were disastrous!). I do work quite often until 11 or 12 pm when a translation is flowing well and I like getting up very early in the morning to revise, but it's of my choosing...

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
yes, sometimes Apr 29, 2014

It really doesn't bother me. I'm more of a night owl than an early bird so if I have a deadline for 7 or 8 a.m. I prefer to finish and send than try to get up early and try to proof when I'm half-asleep.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:07
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Apr 29, 2014

For me, that would be extremely inefficient and it would give terrible results. It would also make me feel awful - is it just not for me!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:07
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I used to Apr 29, 2014

Quite frequently when I was starting out and still trying to learn the ropes.

Fortunately, the 'good old days' are long and far behind me. Even so, working till around 2 a.m., which I sometimes have to do for unforeseen reasons such as computer trouble, takes a heavy toll on me and knocks the wind out of me for a few days.

Definitely not to be recommended when you get cross the 50 sound barrier!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Apr 29, 2014

More often than I would like. I'd say it happens maybe 3 times a year.

I feel great when I deliver a job at dawn. I go out with the dogs and have a good time. Then it hits me, and the rest of the day I'm miserable, unless I take a long nap.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:07
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Apr 29, 2014

I used to about 12 years ago, but I am too old for that game now. On the other hand, when things are very busy, I sometimes get up at 4-5 am and make a very early start.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
At the beginning Apr 29, 2014

I worked through the night on one or two occasions when I first started, having bit off more than I could chew. Nowadays, I'll very rarely work beyond 9 pm as I just won't function properly, but I will get up very early for a final proofread.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
No Apr 29, 2014

Sometimes I work until quite late, but I would never work all night. Quite apart from feeling terrible the next day and knowing that I will still have to do the school run, the housework etc, my brain starts to get tired after a while and I start writing rubbish. When I switch my computer on the next morning after a late work session, I am horrified by what I have written and find myself having to rewrite quite a lot.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've done it once or twice... Apr 29, 2014

but all-nighters are a real bust for me. Even when it's at a party, the next day I feel miserable. I'm just not a night person and I stay awake all night if I have to, but it takes me a looong time to recover afterwards. It takes me a lot of trouble to fall asleep after an all-nighter, probably due to the adrenaline levels.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:07
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
rarely Apr 29, 2014

I have actually never worked ALL night, but have worked very late on a couple of occasions. Usually it's because the deadline was in Europe time.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Apr 29, 2014

Never through choice, but if working all night happens to be the only way to meet an agreed deadline, then yes.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sometimes, but not always. Apr 29, 2014

Never the whole night, of course. I once worked till 5 o'clock in the morning, and the next day I felt as if I was drunk all the time.
Nowadays it happens sometimes that I'm still working at 1 or 2 o'clock, but that's usually for the finishing touch of things which are almost finished, to send away e-mails, or because a last proofreading round takes longer than expected.
Sometimes computerproblems during the day can stretch working hours, but I have to say that computerproblems are
... See more
Never the whole night, of course. I once worked till 5 o'clock in the morning, and the next day I felt as if I was drunk all the time.
Nowadays it happens sometimes that I'm still working at 1 or 2 o'clock, but that's usually for the finishing touch of things which are almost finished, to send away e-mails, or because a last proofreading round takes longer than expected.
Sometimes computerproblems during the day can stretch working hours, but I have to say that computerproblems are rare these days. Some years ago that was much more frequently.
Anyway, working really late is not interesting, because then I'm crap the next day. So it's better to avoid it, and that also explains why it only happens during the last day I work on a job.
Collapse

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
At least two nights a week Apr 29, 2014

As a mother of 5 and having a partner with PTSD, I somehow have to organize my work around them. My toddlers are tough, as is my partner. I love the serenity of the night, no phonecalls, hardly any emails. I sleep as soon the 8 o'clock movie starts and around eleven I get up to work. I take naps during the night and during the day I am that cake baking mom, and the hard worker with her own business. In the military I worked the exact same way.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
For naps, do what cats do Apr 29, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

More often than I would like. I'd say it happens maybe 3 times a year.

I feel great when I deliver a job at dawn. I go out with the dogs and have a good time. Then it hits me, and the rest of the day I'm miserable, unless I take a long nap.

On Sunday night/Monday wee hours, I had to finish a medical translation (about 8000 words) that started in SDL Trados Freelance 2009 but ended in Deja Vu X3.

You see, DVX3 is far more efficient dealing with termbases and repairing (i.e. completing or assembling) portions (sentences, phrases) straight from the translation memories assigned to the project...unlike SDL products. Still, I had to work through the night. At 6:30 a.m. I was done, delivered the project (and the juicy invoice) and went to bed.

Still, I depend on my cat to take naps through the day. You're right, Muriel.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever work overnight?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »