Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hats' off to you! Apr 29, 2014

Angelique Blommaert wrote:

As a mother of 5 and having a partner with PTSD, I somehow have to organize my work around them. My toddlers are tough, as is my partner. I love the serenity of the night, no phonecalls, hardly any emails. I sleep as soon the 8 o'clock movie starts and around eleven I get up to work. I take naps during the night and during the day I am that cake baking mom, and the hard worker with her own business. In the military I worked the exact same way.

What can I say? You organize your time very well. Yay for naps!

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:40
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
It used to happen more often Apr 29, 2014

due to unforeseen circumstances. Even when I had everything under control, a sudden call from school that one of my daughters had done something that required a trip to the ER, or I had forgot to mark a teacher's conference on my calendar, or a stomach bug that hit the whole family, would inevitably set me back quite a few hours. Sometimes even a couple of days. In those cases pulling an all-nighter would be the only way to meet my deadline.

Nowadays with almost adult kids (and onl
... See more
due to unforeseen circumstances. Even when I had everything under control, a sudden call from school that one of my daughters had done something that required a trip to the ER, or I had forgot to mark a teacher's conference on my calendar, or a stomach bug that hit the whole family, would inevitably set me back quite a few hours. Sometimes even a couple of days. In those cases pulling an all-nighter would be the only way to meet my deadline.

Nowadays with almost adult kids (and only one one living at home) it happens rarely, and usually as a result of computer trouble.

However, if I see the need arise, I'll make sure to sleep an hour at least, in the afternoon, to make sure my brain keeps working until I'm done.
Collapse

Emma Williams
Emma Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:40
Italian to English
+ ...
More often than I'd like.... Apr 29, 2014

I am a mum to two young kids and so I have no choice but to work around them - there also doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything (school run, nappies, food, housework, etc) so I have to do what I can overnight (laptop in bed).

I look forward to when my youngest is in nursery and I can work during the day again and sleep during the night - just 16 months to go!!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Hell no Apr 29, 2014

If I worshipped a deity it would be Hypnos, god of sleep.
http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Hypnos.html

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hypnos Apr 29, 2014

Ty Kendall wrote:

I thought Hypnos was the god of trance music.

[Edited at 2014-04-30 01:26 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Trance Music Apr 30, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

I thought Hypnos was the god of trance music.

[Edited at 2014-04-30 01:26 GMT]

He might have shared those duties with his wife:

Pasithea, as wife of Hypnos,the god of sleep and dreams, may have been regarded as a goddess of hallucinations and hallucinogenic drugs.

http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/KharisPasithea.html

[Edited at 2014-04-30 09:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever work overnight?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »