Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have a written business plan for your translation/interpreting business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
American hubris Apr 29, 2014

I live in America (and I'm American), and Americans love to steamroll over the world with their one-size-fits-all business mentality.

Every business, big or small, has to have a business plan. Okay, Mr. American impresario, define for me what you mean by that. Stumped? I thought so.

Then, you are not taken seriously unless you have a mission statement and a vision statement. What do you mean by that? Isn't it enough that I say Mr. So-and-So, Spanish (or German or Italia
... See more
I live in America (and I'm American), and Americans love to steamroll over the world with their one-size-fits-all business mentality.

Every business, big or small, has to have a business plan. Okay, Mr. American impresario, define for me what you mean by that. Stumped? I thought so.

Then, you are not taken seriously unless you have a mission statement and a vision statement. What do you mean by that? Isn't it enough that I say Mr. So-and-So, Spanish (or German or Italian) translator, or that I provide language services or plumbing services in my downtime? Mission and vision statements are invariably foamy and useless fluff.

Why can't we listen a bit to Thoreau with his motto Simplify, simplify, simplify!? Next up, our kindergarten kids will introduce themselves with a Hi, I'm Brian, and my mission statement is “I am likable and I want to be your friend”

Nonsense.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:50
Danish to English
+ ...
No, but maybe not a bad idea Apr 29, 2014

When I do my annual accounts, I write a half-page report on the main developments of the year. That neatly leads to my thoughts on what to focus on over the next year, but it is really just a few lines. However, I actually quite like the idea of being a bit more specific about where I want to take my business, so maybe it's not such a bad idea to verbalise those vague plans that are all contained in my head...

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:50
Greek to English
Business plan Apr 29, 2014

Dilbert's business plan.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a written business plan for your translation/interpreting business?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »