Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many unusual/uncommon word(s) do find in a day's work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Poll question Apr 28, 2014

Should it be "How many unusual/uncommon word(s) do YOU find in a day's work?"?

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:08
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Other (ambiguous question) Apr 28, 2014

If "unusual" means "rarely used in everyday language" I should vote something like "99% of the words I come across", since I translate legal stuff. If "unusual" means "a word that I, as a translator, never encountered before", then I'd vote something like "1 to 5".

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
As Silvatonia and Helen said, Apr 28, 2014

depends on the text, and also on the source language. I am seldom surprised in Czech, English or French, but just now I am translating from Romanian (my language no. 5) and yes, I use both my dictionary and the Internet a lot.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
No idea Apr 28, 2014

Enough to keep me interested at least.

In an attempt to follow Yaotl's example, I find I have upwards of 8000 terms in my textiles glossary after 15 years. I do have other glossaries too in many different fields, and there are terms lurking in TMs that I have never bothered to put in a glossary simply because I know I can find them from the TM. And I really couldn't do the maths, just the thought of deducting days I don't work, or don't work a full day, makes my mind boggle and if
... See more
Enough to keep me interested at least.

In an attempt to follow Yaotl's example, I find I have upwards of 8000 terms in my textiles glossary after 15 years. I do have other glossaries too in many different fields, and there are terms lurking in TMs that I have never bothered to put in a glossary simply because I know I can find them from the TM. And I really couldn't do the maths, just the thought of deducting days I don't work, or don't work a full day, makes my mind boggle and if I chose a job where I don't have to do many sums it's for a reason!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many unusual/uncommon word(s) do find in a day's work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »