Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 23, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Serena Tutino. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
German to English
+ ...
No Apr 23, 2014

I'm currently in the dining room, but it's a movable feast! Sometimes I'm in the living room or playroom, sometimes I'll work from other people's houses. Have laptop, will travel!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Apr 23, 2014

Nothing changed since last year as far as my office goes... (http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/255142-poll_do_you_have_a_dedicated_room_office_for_your_translation_work.html)

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:16
German to English
+ ...
Wardrobe Apr 23, 2014

Yes, although it also serves as a walk-in wardrobe

[Editado a las 2014-04-23 11:36 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - an extra bedroom Apr 23, 2014

It has bookcases on three sides, two desks, two desktop computers, file cabinets, and a closet full of supplies. I use it for translation, my writing and promotion of my book, networking, and keeping my accounts. Also for correspondence with friends, e-mail or otherwise.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:16
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Apr 23, 2014

I can do what I like, whenever I like and however I like. Nobody disturbs me. It helps me concentrate and perform to the best of my abilities or whatever. That's how I've arranged everything here. 'Here' is about 40 sq meters. Not bad for a den. Every translator should have one.

This 'den' is also equipped with another necessity in addition to heaps of books, dictionaries and computers - a fridge to chill brewskies and wine. I wish you all had one of these, too. Hic! Kanpai! ... See more
I can do what I like, whenever I like and however I like. Nobody disturbs me. It helps me concentrate and perform to the best of my abilities or whatever. That's how I've arranged everything here. 'Here' is about 40 sq meters. Not bad for a den. Every translator should have one.

This 'den' is also equipped with another necessity in addition to heaps of books, dictionaries and computers - a fridge to chill brewskies and wine. I wish you all had one of these, too. Hic! Kanpai!

All in all, it's my special, private space and I enjoy and look forward to coming to work here every day. Enjoy!
Collapse

María González, M.A. English
María González, M.A. English  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (Jan 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A home office Apr 23, 2014

I have a very cute and cozy, zen-style home office, with wooden walls and flooring, as well as
three large windows that provide lots of light - on a seventh floor. It's not a big office at all (barely 6 sq meters), but it's all I need for business. In fact, I enjoy being here so much that time flies at work! Isn´t that a good sign?

Regards, -MG

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 02:16
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Simple Apr 23, 2014

Wherever I can put my laptop on

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I do have a room Apr 23, 2014

but in reality I'm itinerant. I live in a four-floor Victorian house and move my work place according to season and mood. For a month in the summer I even use the basement to keep my cool.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Victorian house? Nice! Apr 23, 2014

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

but in reality I'm itinerant. I live in a four-floor Victorian house and move my work place according to season and mood. For a month in the summer I even use the basement to keep my cool.

You probably meant to keep me cool heheh.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kanpai! Apr 23, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

This 'den' is also equipped with another necessity in addition to heaps of books, dictionaries and computers - a fridge to chill brewskies and wine. I wish you all had one of these, too. Hic! Kanpai!

All in all, it's my special, private space and I enjoy and look forward to coming to work here every day. Enjoy!

That's exactly what the minions, those adorable yellow guys in Despicable Me 2, were saying at one point.

I'm bad at converting meters to square feet and vice versa. but my entire living room is my office, in addition to the foyer and a small pantry-like area where I keep supplies (well, office supplies, cat food, water bottles, etc.).

Like you, Julian, I love going to work...at home.

Augusta Habas
Augusta Habas
France
Italian to French
+ ...
Yes, a separate room in my house Apr 23, 2014

But my husband keeps using my PC any time I leave it for a minute, my son laughs or cries in the next room, and I would love to have them far away from me when I am working (which is not 24/7!!!).

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Apr 23, 2014

I used to work from a desk in the living room, which was fine.
But now my 21-year old daughter has left home, and I have taken over and set up in her old room.
So now I have a real office plus the back-up place in the living room.
What luxury!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Apr 23, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

My office is "only" 20 sq meters, but also has the same equipment, and is probably equipped with the same stuff;-))

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 16:16
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
There's no place like (work) home! Apr 23, 2014

I don't understand how some people can work on laptops in odd places and settings. Me, I need my sturdy chair, solid desk, bookcases with reference works and a nice big screen and a regular-sized keyboard.

Hence, when the house we now live in was being remodeled, we specifically ordered an office built into it. I am thoroughly content with my present layout and setup.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »