Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 23, 2014

My main PC and workspace is a corner of my open-plan kitchen-living room, with a window on my right looking onto the garden.
I also have a similar workspace with PC ready in my spare room, either for myself, colleagues or visitors to use.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
reasons for workplace flexibility Apr 23, 2014

I don't understand how some people can work on laptops in odd places and settings. Me, I need my sturdy chair, solid desk, bookcases with reference works and a nice big screen and a regular-sized keyboard.

One important reason for me is that the neighbours that moved in on the other side of the Victorian dividing wall AFTER I had designated my office space, turned out to have two *effing* terriers that prefer the second floor where my office is. Their howling, barking etc. can drive me crazy at times, so whenever I start scheming to kill them, I'll move.

Another reason is climate/light conditions. The same light and sun that is lovely in the winter, makes my office hot and uncomfortable in the summer. I prefer moving to another floor to turning on the energy-sucking A/C.

These issues may be specific to Canada, with a max difference of about 70 degrees Celsius from winter to summer (and more dogs than people).

[Edited at 2014-04-23 17:42 GMT]

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Beggars can't be chosers Apr 23, 2014

Reed D James wrote:

Me, I need my sturdy chair, solid desk, bookcases with reference works and a nice big screen and a regular-sized keyboard.

Replace "I need" with "I would love"...
Square metres cost a bomb in Paris and at the moment there's just no way I can afford a separate office - nor a bigger flat!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's because toting your work laptop everywhere is so fashionable, dahlin'! Apr 23, 2014

Reed D James wrote:

I don't understand how some people can work on laptops in odd places and settings. Me, I need my sturdy chair, solid desk, bookcases with reference works and a nice big screen and a regular-sized keyboard.

Hence, when the house we now live in was being remodeled, we specifically ordered an office built into it. I am thoroughly content with my present layout and setup.

Many American TV ads portrayed happy-looking people typing at a laptop keyboard by the swimming pool or while lounging on a chair in their oh, so sunny patios. Now the laptops of yesteryear have been replaced with iPads and tablets of dubious utility for work-related tasks.

Emma Grubb
Emma Grubb  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:54
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
It's a must-have! May 6, 2014

Augusta Habas wrote:

But my husband keeps using my PC any time I leave it for a minute, my son laughs or cries in the next room, and I would love to have them far away from me when I am working (which is not 24/7!!!).

For many years I worked from a spare room in the house. But now with two small and very noisy children I just wasn't getting any peace to concentrate. So we decided to have an office built for me at the end of the garden. I moved in yesterday. And I loooooove it! Peace and quiet, a sunny green outlook, what more do you need?

And the bonus is that the kids now get my old office as a playroom. Everyone's a winner!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a dedicated room/office for your translation work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »